Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Make bbpress GDPR compliant

• Bbpress is not GDPR-compliant because of one thing: The User posts and threads are not collected in WordPress’ feature to export and delete all user data.

Please add this feature next! Thank you. 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

GDPR is about personal data – if you choose to publish information in a forum then this is not personal data, and there is no requirement to delete such data.

if you leave facebook, everything you have published still remains

But Facebook gives you the possibility to delete all your data if you wish to do so. This is what the delete user data tool in WP does as well, and it was added because of that. The users must have the right to see all data stored by them as well as the choice to have them removed.

I am still unsure if this concerns only personal data or any data published by the user, but the WP delete user data tool also collects all comments written by the user, and when they are sent to the user (if requested) they are included in that zip package. So I am unsure about if I need that feature or not.

Robin W

@robin-w

if you wish to include topics and replies in the personal data export, use this plugin

bbPress GDPR

Awesome, hadn’t seen this. I’ve installed it and it seems to work fine, even though it hasn’t been updated for ages. This should really be included as a default feature in bbpress. Privacy is a big concern. Thank you robin!

Robin W

@robin-w

I’m just a bbpress user who helps out here, so cannot comment on whether it should be core.

There was and is much debate about whether you can claim anything you put yourself into public view (eg in a topic or reply, or wordpress comment ) as personal data – and then demand it be removed.

for instance https://law.stackexchange.com/questions/28276/are-internet-forum-posts-considered-personal-data-under-gdpr

I’ve seen similar discussions on here. The fact it’s not very clear is why I wanted to include it on my site, just to be sure. Basically, you could post private photos and private information like phone numbers on it. It’s not really clear I guess.

Robin W

@robin-w

Like most laws, it adds work to the law abiding, whilst not actually achieving much.

All it seems to have acheived is masses of ‘accept settings’ pop ups that no one ever reads.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar