Categories
Search
Bottom

Logged in as different user

• rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

Hi,

One of my forum has now twice experienced being logged in as a different user. She then has to log out and back in as herself. This specific user does not have any admin right or special setup.

Have you heard about this happening before?

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

when you say ‘being logged in as a different user.’ is this logging in as user ‘a’ and getting user ‘b’, or on entering the site being already logged in as user ‘b’.

rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

Hi,

I queried it with the user and got the below response:

“Sometimes when I go into the forum, it has my old username in the log in boxes. That was the case yesterday, as I went in to show a friend, but I didn’t actually log in then. I then went back to it later, just before I sent you the e-mail, and afterwards logged out and logged in again as [username deleted]. When I go onto your site, it’s always through an icon which is there when I open a new tab in my browser, like all the others, bookmakers, Matchbook etc. I think that might be a bookmark, but I’m not sure.”

Does that clarify anything at your end?

Robin W

@robin-w

it has my old username in the log in boxes

this is a setting/saving on her browser, nothing to do with the site.

rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

But she was logged in as another user. Not her old or new username. This has happened twice both times different users, not her old or new username.

Robin W

@robin-w

that’s not what the text you quoted says – she states that it is an old username.

Anyway this is a wordpress not bbpress issue, and is highly likely that it is user pc/browser/cookie/remember me issue.

Wordpress powers 10% of the internet, if this happened then it would be a major security issue for the whole of the internet 🙂

rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

The text was a reply, when I asked if used bookmarks to log in or if she did anything different when logging in.

The user has now sent me two screenshots where I can see she is logged in as a different users, again neither her old or new username.

So I would say it is a BBpress issue.

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress just uses wordpress login, so at best this is a wordpress issue, so suggest you log it there

Welcome to the WordPress.org support forums

Robin W

@robin-w

but it isn’t

rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

I have queried this in with the WordPress support and as expected they say it is a BBpress issue.

So who is right?

Robin W

@robin-w

it is highly likely that it is user pc/browser/cookie/remember me issue.

rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

But how can any of those lead to being logged into another users account for which this specific user has no access rights nor password (twice)? One of the accounts this user got access to was an account created by one of my administrators.

Robin W

@robin-w

I cannot say – that would require access to your sites files, database and admin, and I suspect your users PC – and well beyond any free help.

all I can say is that wordpress is used on 74 million sites, and bbpress just uses wordpress logon, nothing more.

rasmusandesther
    Participant

@rasmusandesther

So you have never heard of a similar situation before?

Robin W

@robin-w

nope !

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar