Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Lock/Assign Specific Forums to Specific Members Only

• testuserfay

@testuserfay

Hi. I am using BBpress to add a community component to my mostly informational site. What I want is for my forums to:

1) be hidden from nonlogged in members;

2) require members to be able to login and check the 1 forum that I assign to them for updates, WITHOUT having access to someone elses forum.

Is this at all possible through an existing plugin or through some code modification?

I am using wp-members for registration/login stuff. That plugin does have the ability to lock access to pages and posts, but currently, I don’t use those features.

I am also using latest BBpress and WordPress software.

Thank you.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• testuserfay

@testuserfay

Anywhere I can find more info on password protecting the forums so that only 1 non admin member can access and post? Please help!

docchewbacca
    Participant

@docchewbacca

I am looking for the same thing : I’d like to be able to manage user access on a per forum basis.

Ie :
    – Users A, B, C have access to forum 1
    – Users C, D, E, have access to forum 2
    – User A does not have access to forum 2
    – User E does not have access to forum 1

I tried to look into the WordPress capabilities and roles management, but since a given user can only have one role, this does not solve my problem. In my example above, users B and C would not be able to access 2 different restricted forums.

I read somewhere on this forum (but can find where !) that user access management like this was planned for BBpress 2.1, but I realize this was not the case.

I searched for a plugin, with no luck. I also tried other WordPress forum plugins, some offer a feature like this, but I didn’t like the rest of what they offered in comparison with BBpress.

Any idea of a solution that would not be over-complicated ? Or is it a feature that’s being looked into for a future BBpress release ?

• This reply was modified 11 years, 8 months ago by docchewbacca.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

More specific user capability management will happen in bbPress 2.2.

docchewbacca
    Participant

@docchewbacca

Great news !
    Any idea (even approximate) of the delay before 2.2 happens ? (since this is a feature that I’m currently badly missing, I just want to know if it’s more a matter of weeks, months, one year… to know if it’s worth looking for a work-around until 2.2 is here)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

By the end of the year.

docchewbacca
    Participant

@docchewbacca

Hi

I looked at version 2.2, updated my bbpress, but didn’t find how to manage forum access on an individual user basis.

Has this feature been implemented?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Partially. The roles and capabilities in 2.2 have all the filters and hooks in place to allow for this to happen in future versions, though there’s no UI for it currently.

Forum VS Role VS User permissions are going to be tricky to handle in WordPress. We’ll most likely need to get creative with where the relationship data is stored, using the taxonomy table or something similar.

sixf00t4
    Participant

@sixf00t4

I’m watching this thread for developments. I’m needing the same functionality. Hidden forums for special members.

idesigns
    Participant

@idesigns

Looking for the same thing.

Also wondering the status on this. I’ve a tool to limit access by userrole, but I really need a tool to limit access by capability.

Robin W

@robin-w

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar