Categories
Search
Bottom

link goes to wrong page

• danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

I am running WordPress 4.7.4 and using bbPress v 2.5.12

I have a ‘Forum Topics’ widget set up in the sidebar and the breadcrumbs is linking to a Blog page. I want this to link to a PAGE in my site instead. I cannot figure out how to do this.

My site is;

and the breadcrumb that I want to re-direct is this;

Any assistance here is appreciated.
    Dana

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

• danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Apologies for the missing links (I’m new to this)

My site is;
    nolaportegravel.org

and the breadcrumb that I want to re-direct is this;

Adverse Impacts

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks for your post, and no need to apologise !
    so I’ll apologise instead – sorry I’m not quite clear on what you are pressing and where it goes to that you would like to go somewhere else.

can you come back with

on this page (link) I press this and that happens, and I like this to happen

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Hi Robin, yes! I am happy to try to provide more clarity.

When I click on a Forum Topic in my sidebar/widget (bbPress widget)

Adverse Impacts

it (correctly) takes me to that Forum Topic/List of forums. BUT..when I click on the breadcrumb (Home › Community Forum › Adverse Impacts at top of forum list) it takes me back to a BLOG Page called ‘Community Forums’,

https://nolaportegravel.org/community-forum/

which I don’t even know where this Blog is coming from! I intend for it to be going to my PAGE called ‘Community Forum’

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, the breadcrumb is taking you to

https://nolaportegravel.org/community-forum/

whereas you want to go to

Community Forum

I suspect that in

dashboard>settings>forums>forum root slug you have

community-forum

whereas you should have

communityforum

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Robin, you were so correct! The forum root slug was as you stated, however changing it to community forum did not solve this. Changing the root slug to communityforum then linked my PAGE to the Blog as well. I’m stumped! Any other thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, go to both posts and pages and check if you have either with the slug ‘communityforum’ then come back

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

I am looking under Settings>Forums> and there is only a ‘forum root slug’ setting there. Am I not looking in the right place?

Robin W

@robin-w

no, go to each page/post and under edit you’ll find just under the heading the permalink – I suspect there is one for ‘communityforum’

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

You were right again. There were 2 pages for Community Forum (not entirely sure how that happened) and one of them had communityforum and one had community-forum in the permalinks. I deleted the page that had the hyphen, because I tried each one and deleting the hyphen was the only way it would re-direct me to the page, not the post.

However, the forum root slug is still with the hyphen because without it, it goes back to the post. I’m so confused but I think we are getting closer to figuring it out!?

I do appreciate the help!

Robin W

@robin-w

ok,so you have a page with a permalink of

communityforum

so your forum root slug should also be

communityforum

I don’t understand what you mean by

“without it, it goes back to the post”

what post?

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Hi Robin, so I now, again, just deleted the hyphen in my Settings>Forum>root slug and what happens is the Community Forum Page now links to what I am calling a POST, which is;

https://nolaportegravel.org/communityforum/

This link take me to a “post” that I don’t seem to have set up anywhere. Its something backend with bbPress, I’m assuming.

(what I meant by “without it, it goes back to the post”, is without the hyphen in the root slug OR permalink, it takes me to this post mentioned above.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, appreciate it is frustrating – I am currently fighting another IT corporate system that is annoying the hell out of me !

It is a theme/bbpress issue, so we need to try stuff to work out what works

so can you set up a page called community forum and have it’s permalink end in ‘communityforum’ and into the content of that page put

[bbp-topic-index]

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

I DO SOOOO appreciate that it is frustrating to try to resolve issues such as this over this format or other! I DO SOOOO appreciate your time and am grateful for the things I am learning along the way, so that hopefully if/when this comes up again I will have the knowledge! Please stay tuned for me as I try your next solution. Thanks Robin!

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem, happy to try and help !

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Well shoot, that last suggestion did not work. Pretty much created the same loop as before. Not sure what is wrong (guess otherwise we wouldn’t be having this conversation 🙂

If you want to pause on this issue till you get your other frustrating issue resolved we can, perhaps revisit again later(?)

Robin W

@robin-w

have you changed it back, as I see the slug as community-forum

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Yes, I removed the hyphen in the forum root slug because otherwise it takes me to the ‘wrong’ link;

Community Forum

I started looking at the started looking at the Single Forum Slug thinking this may be an issue but it seemed changing that slug didn’t do anything except cause bbPress ‘conflict’

I think I would rather disable the breadcrumb link rather than have it go to the wrong place. Might you have a suggestion here? (Forum Topics>Adverse Impacts>Forum)

Robin W

@robin-w

if you install my plugin bbp style pack it has options to disable or amend the breadcrumb.

bbp style pack

once installed and activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>breadcrumbs

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Thanks Robin, this sounds like a great suggestion. I have yet to have the time to try this. I will let you know when I do. Thank YOU!

danaroo
    Participant

@danaroo

Hey Robin, sorry for the delayed response but I just wanted to let you know that your plugin worked perfectly for my issue. Thanks again…I just gave your plugin 5 stars!

Robin W

@robin-w

Great – glad you are fixed !

Viewing 21 replies - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar