Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

LaTex support

• I’d like to see LaTex support implemented (in a plugin I guess), so people can post LaTex comments (eg for physics/maths forums). How hard would this be to implement in BBpress?

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • No idea. My advice would be to find a wordpress plugin and just modify it – there probably won’t be much to do – into a bb plugin. It’s worth a try. :)

Mdawaffe actually added the support for this in wordpress.com recently and should be able to fire something up for bbPress. Maybe he will see this forum post and do something on it!

Trent

andrew-stacey

@andrew-stacey

I’ve had a go at adapting one of the WordPress plugins (easy LaTeX) for bbPress. It works for me, but there are probably a few things a little too specific to my set-up for it to be released “in the wild” – for example, I’m using both WordPress and bbPress so there’s a little cross-over information which wouldn’t be available on a bbPress-only site (putting in some options for that would probably be a good idea).

However, it might be suitable for beta-testing. I’ve put a copy here if anyone’s interested in taking a look and tweaking it.

A few details:

It uses a public server so no need for LaTeX to be installed locally.

It uses a cache (needs to be writable by the server) to save on server load.

It has a two-step parsing (not in the original) since forum posts are saved in their original format. This makes it more robust since the plugin allows for changing the tags that surround the mathematics. The saved format uses <math> tags which has the added advantage of avoiding markdown processing.

Due to being a rather limited programmer, I ended up copying stuff from other plugins to get it to work without really understanding what I was doing (particularly with add_filter and the like) so if some kind soul wishes to take pity on me and clean up my code I’d be very grateful.

andrew-stacey

@andrew-stacey

I’ve now uploaded a plugin for LaTeX support to the plugin page here at bbPress.

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/bblatex/

kennycbrown123

@kennycbrown123

Hi Andrew,

I recently tried to use your bblatex plugin, but it is not working. I successfully installed it, according to your README file and encountered no problems. However, when I attempt to write latex into a post, e.g. [math]x^2 = 1[/math], I don’t get any latex. I think gd is installed on my php ( I am using godaddy to host). Not sure what to do. Any help would be great.

djstat
    Participant

@djstat

I guess the easiest way to enable Latex in bbpress is to use Mathjax.
    Put the following code into the block of the header.php in the theme. This will load the latest version of MathJax from the distributed server, and configure it to recognize mathematics in both TeX and MathML notation. For details, refer http://docs.mathjax.org/en/latest/start.html#mathjax-cdn

I do not why the script above is not displayed.

djstat
    Participant

@djstat

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar