Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

last topic/comment

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• fl3xtra
    Participant

@fl3xtra

bmdusers.com is the forum

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

Hi @fl3xtra,

If I understand correctly the problem you’re having, it’s a bug:

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3356

I’ve tried this patch on one of my sites and it appears to work. Bear in mind that I am NOT an expert on this.

Here’s the thread where I found out about the patch:

Several questions regarding freshness

fl3xtra
    Participant

@fl3xtra

How did you go about applying the patch? I see it looks like some php and it needs to be pasted into my site.

fl3xtra
    Participant

@fl3xtra

Got it. Thanks!

Just for those who are curios, you need to edit your php file located under site/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/replies/functions.php

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

I edited the php file indicated in the trac ticket. On my setup this is:

public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/includes/replies/functions.php

This is a very simple change to one line, but it does require editing the bbPress code, and (AFAIK) can’t be done in a child theme. So you would have to keep this in mind every time you update bbPress.

If you’re not familiar with doing this type of thing, then you probably want to either:

(1) Consider using by bbp-style-pack by @robin-w, which I *believe* fixes this. Robin can answer questions about that.

(2) Just wait for the bug to get fixed. I don’t really know how the priorities for bugs are set, but my impression is that this one could take a while. I might be wrong.

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

Guess we were typing our replies at the same time. Glad you got it worked out!

2cats
    Participant

@2cats

Is there by chance a fix coming for this issue? I’m a bit uncomfortable pasting in a patch, but I have forum participants up in arms because topics are not updating with the most recent post. If I run the repair fix: “Recalculate last activity in each topic and forum”, the topics update, but once people start posting again the latest post no longer shows up on the Forum list. Thank you!

Mike Witt
    Participant

@mike80222

@2cats, just out of curiosity is it the mechanics of putting in the patch that you’re uncomfortable with. Or it it the fact that you (or your clients) would then have to deal with the patched code when updates happen.

Also I’m assuming that you’re aware of the plug-in mentioned above that fixes some of the current bbPress bugs.

Clearly the bbPress developers (who donate their time) can only do so much. But I too am curious how the priorities are set. BuddyPress recently ran a survey asking users about their priorities. I wonder if there is something like this in the works for bbPress. Sometimes I also wonder about the feasibility of a group of users with specific needs *hiring* a bbPress developer to make certain fixes and integrate them into the build. But these are just random thoughts of someone who doesn’t really know much about how these things work.

2cats
    Participant

@2cats

Hi Mike, thank you for your quick reply! I’m always a little concerned about messing with plugin files, so I will need to decide whether to try that or try the plugin that’s recommended. I do appreciate the availability of really useful plugins like bbPress. Thanks.

2cats
    Participant

@2cats

Just wanted to add that I used the patch, and it worked. Thanks!

Robin W

@robin-w

great

my bug fix for this in bbp-style-pack does what the patch does, so should be a good alternative for those not happy with editing core files.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar