Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Keymaster lost after integration

• I just installed the latest stable release of bbpress and integrated it with wordpress 2.5.1. After setting up the integration, I immediately was logged out and couldn’t log back in with my keymaster. I searched the forums and tried everything that was suggested such as the plugin, adding a line to bb-config.php, and trying to edit phpmyadmin usermeta. I don’t know why the plugin didn’t work since my keymaster is at ID#1. And editing through phpmyadmin was useless since my usermeta was already set to keymaster. I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled and keep getting the same results.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Have you tried creating a new user and logging in as that? Once you have a working username and password, you could bump him up to keymaster right? Then you could probably go back and fix the original.

Yeah, after the integration all of my members from WordPress could log in just fine into Bbpress. But the thing is that none of them can get into the admin. Only the keymaster had that access and it disappeared right after I set the cookies. I even tried setting the user roles before integrating so that my admin account would have keymaster access and it didn’t work. I’ve looked into the database and it says that the keymaster is there but when I log in it says that it’s username does not exist. Is there another way to fix this through the database?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Are you using any plugins that could cause this? Maybe the Display Name plugin? I’ve heard that creates trouble for some people.

I’m sure there’s a way to fix this through the database. Have you created a regular member you can log in as? If so, then you just need to promote them to keymaster in the database. Try this:

Deleted Admin in WordPress- now no Keymaster in BBPress

There was this old trick too – not sure if it still works:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/no-site-keymasters?replies=6#post-909

Thanks for the idea, I didn’t think of it that way. I just assumed that if I had accounts in WP then I didn’t need to create any in BBpress. Well, I tried that just now and something weird in the database. After registering a test member in BBpress I looked in the database and all I saw was the “non-existent” keymaster, the newly registered member wasn’t even in there. I looked in the WP user tables and the member was there but not in BBpress even though that’s where I registered them. This is a clean install, so there’s no plugins and editing the config file didn’t work either.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you used integration, then new users go into the wp_users and wp_usermeta table. That’s the correct behavior.

Well that explains the missing people! So like in the link you sent, do I replace the usermeta capabilities for the administator which is this:

a:1:{s:13:”administrator”;b:1;}

to this:

a:1:{s:9:”keymaster”;b:1;},

?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Yes – you just need to do it for the proper user in the wp_user_meta table. Sounds like you’re getting somewhere. You need to look in the wp_users and wp_usermeta tables for your new bbPress users.

It worked! Actually, I found out that all my wordpress users were members. I picked the right one out by their ID and changed them to keymaster and the admin link came back. I still don’t know what happened to the original keymaster but that’s ok, I don’t need it. Thank you for sticking with me and helping me out.

Just a quick question… What would I put to change someone into an administrator? I couldn’t find any references.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I have no idea. Might be this (based on looking at another user in my database):

a:1:{s:13:"administrator";b:1;}

But I would just change them through the Admin backend, rather than directly in the database. Much safer. Once you have the keymaster back and can log in, you can change anyone you want to administrator or other level one logged in.

I don’t think that’s possible, and probably something that the makers of BBpress should change. It says under settings that: “Changes do not affect users with existing roles in both WordPress and bbPress.” I’ll have to delete my user and then recreate it. Then that role will be assigned. But I don’t think it will change any existing members. Thanks again.

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar