Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Issue with “bbPress Advanced Statistics”

• Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I have only just noticed this. I use the “bbPress Advanced Statistics” plugin as I like the way it presents the data at the bottom on the forum page.

However, if I “log out”, it still lists all the names of the users from the last 24 hours. That is not right. It should only list last 24 forum activity if a user is logged in. Technically it is exposing users names for a non logged in user when I don’t want it to.

I am using latest bbPress 2.6.2

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Only problem with the other forum is it doesn’t look like it is supported any more.

Robin W

@robin-w

may well be, but you can’t expect us to support every plugin 🙂

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

True. 🙂

I can confirm that 1.5 was the last version of that product from what it seems and that no further development is done (technical talk: even the /trunk folder is missing so no updates could happen anymore). The plugin is now marked correctly: https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbpress-improved-statistics-users-online/

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

OK. Thanks. Because we need a good plugin like this (if not core functionality anyway). But it should expose usernames if we don’t want it to when no one is logged in.

I will leave it active as it is better than nothing and I don’t have an alternative that I know of that is without charge.

Robin W

@robin-w

@ajtruckle time for you to start learning php ??:-) https://www.udemy.com/course/php-mysql-tutorial/

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

I have done php. Actually wrote a website a few years ago that worked with a my-sql database. I also did a backend which was a Microsoft Visual C++ standalone executable that had access to the database for managing content. The site is not live any more.

My struggles are with debugging. It is not like Visual C++ when I can run through it step by step.

And there is the basic mechanics of how the whole thing works. No manuals with details information about bbPress mechanics.

So I already have a good knowledge but I am leading myself blind with it and I don’t like that …!

Robin W

@robin-w

I only started php in 2014 – necessity makes a great motivator.

I doubt if it would take you that long to find where the output is, and add a is_logged_in test to it.

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

It seems to be this html that builds a load of divs:

function build_html() {

$this->sort_users();
                $data = $this->stats_builder();
                $HTMLOutput = "";

foreach( $data as $key => $html ) {
                   $HTMLOutput .= "<div class='bbpas-" . $key . "' id='bbpas-" . $key . "'>" . $html . "</div>";
                }

return $HTMLOutput;
            }

That is called by this:

function widget( $arg, $instance ) {

echo $arg['before_widget'] . 
                 $arg['before_title'] . 
                 $instance['heading'] . 
                 $arg['after_title'] . 
                 $this->_parent->online->build_html() . 
                 $arg['after_widget'];
        }     

So the is_logged_in test would have to be applied to build_html and if $key is a certain value do the logged in test.

Elsewhere i found this:

// Section: Users active in last x hours
                if(in_array( 'last_x_hours', $stat ) ) {                
                    $HTMLOutput["inactive"] = $this->section_userstats( $this->stats, "inactive" );                
                }

So I guess the $key of interest is inactive. Funny index to use for that …

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, very quick as I am passing

If you just want it to display for logged in but not for others, then just change

return $HTMLOutput;

to

if (is_user_logged_in())  {
    return $HTMLOutput;
    }

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Since the function still needed a return value I wrapped the actual for loop instead.

But I don’t know if it was coincidence or what but i site seemed more sluggish. I have commented that code out even though it worked. Maybe the check is done fairly frequently. I don’t know.

I will leave it for the moment as it is. Worse case scenario is that I switch off showing the last 24 hours activity as there is a setting for that.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar