Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is version 2.0 final now?

• Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

Returning to the BBPress community after long time away.

Like I expected, there´s no practical info here that I need about the new plugin version.

I see the beta-description is gone from the 2.0 download option. Which leads me to the important question, is it ready? Is it done now? Is this the version I´m supposed to download, and expect to work flawlessly?

Please don´t react too seriously to the word flawless. But what I need to know is – can I download this, and upgrade my current 1.02 version into this? Bringing ALL the USERS, THREADS and POSTS into the new installation???

Hopefully I can, but unfortunatly, there is really no site here telling me what I can do with BBPress 2.0. It´s just there as a download option.

I want to be a part of the future here. But I am terrified of loosing what I have already created with BBPress the last two years.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Anointed
    Participant

@anointed

bbPress 2.0 is final, however 2.1 is going to be released in the near future. bbPress is nowhere near a feature freeze but is pretty rock solid in what it does already.

I am sure that bbPress will always continue to expand and improve. There are currently nowhere near the number of plugins available for 2.0 as with the old system but the base is great and creating plugins is a breeze for developers.

For importing your 1.02 system into 2x, check out http://bbconverter.com which is a great import script written by Alex. I would strongly advise backing up your database first as it’s definitely best practice whenever dealing with databases.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

But is there not an import option in BBPress 2.0?

I have my forum installed on a different database than WordPress. Will I be able to move the data from one database to a different one?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If your data is in a different database, you will not be able to import it. You’ll need to move the tables over first, run the importer, and then delete them.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

What do you mean? Move what tables over?

Can I install BBConverter, import my BBpress 1.02 installation to backup file, and export it to a BBPRess 2.0 installation on a different database? That should work right?

IS there no option in BBPRess 2.0 to select database? If not, there really should be.

That would be very easy, to just install BBPress 2.0 through WordPress as is, and go into the admin panel and select : Database – Select Database – Option 2 – Would you like to import existing users and discussions into BBPress? – Yes/No

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

In phpMYadmin I can browse both databases which are both the child of localhost.

Can I mark all BBpress stuff, and export it to a file, and import that into the WordPress database?

Will that work?

And if it works, will the users and posts be visible in my other BBPress installation on the wordpress database then? Or will they still need to be converted? Cause I see all the users and different values have “BB_” infront of them, while the WordPress users and values have “WP_” infront of them.

Is that what needs to be changed? The three characters in the beginning of everything?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If you have two different sets of users from two totally separate installations, you will not be able to do the migration.

Ramiuz
    Participant

@ramiuz

I have no users on the second installation at all.

Other than the single wordpress admin, I myself am.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar