Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is there any development for bbPress?

• Rough Pixels
    Participant

@roughpixels

I’m curious…it seems as though bbPress is being left far behind without any serious redevelopment. Are there plans for bbPress to get a complete overhaul to bring it up to date?

I’m debating whether to dump it off my site because it seems outdated and no info about giving it a fresh update–it’s been 2 years since the last update.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

perhaps you could outline what you think is missing?

carel75
    Participant

@carel75

Totally agree

This plugin is clearly out of date

Robin W

@robin-w

this plugin adds many features which you might feel are lacking

bbp style pack

Rough Pixels
    Participant

@roughpixels

Thanks, Robin for the plugin suggestion, but it’s more of the core of bbPress which seems quite outdated and a little messy with code. Plus, doing template overrides, there are things which hoped would be there that I can override. Some styles are using!important, some styles are reused in ways they shouldn’t be, so I had to get creative with overrides…I had to use javascript to remove/change/add classes to select elements: ie buttons.

Then, on the bbpress plugin page at .org, this shows up as a notice:

This plugin hasn’t been tested with the latest 3 major releases of WordPress. It may no longer be maintained or supported and may have compatibility issues when used with more recent versions of WordPress.

Time to revamp this plugin and bring the coding and features up-to-date–plus capabilities. Even here in this forum, the font size is just 12 px. Time to move it up a bit, especially for accessibility 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

I’m just a guy sat in his kitchen who was helped several years ago when I was setting bbpress up, so I try to help others – I’m not a bbpress author.

Updates from the bbpress authors are few and far between, I think they are on other projects now, and maybe consider bbpress as a mature product. The philosophy was always to keep bbpress small, and let other plugins add stuff that was needed.

I do ask them to update the ‘tested to’ but it rarely happens. I test bbpress with new versions.

That is and will always be the issue with open source software – it relies on people doing stuff for free, and people’s focus changes and people move on. That is annoying, but the reality of life.

If you have things that need core updates, you can raise them on trac

https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/report

That way at least stuff that is wrong or could be done better gets logged.

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar