Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is bbPress still viable?

• Darryl
    Participant

@darrylschmidt

I’m looking at the latest update being over 2 years ago, maybe one of the example sites listed are even running WP at all.

Is bbPress still a viable solution for a WP forum?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I am just a moderator here, and not a bbpress author.

The authors tend to release updates every few years, rather than more frequently.

My personal view is that you should consider bbpress to be a ‘mature’ product, ie any releases will be to fix issues rather than add functionality.

bbpress is written really well, and has loads of hooks. There are no show stopper bugs in it, it may throw a few deprecation notices (and these are very few at the moment), but WordPress recommends that you should not show error messages in live sites.

I currently have my test site running 8.1 with no issues.

The only major issue with bbpress at the moment is that it does not work well with FSE themes.

However my bbp style pack plugin has fixes for this

bbp style pack

as well as block versions of the widgets and a ton of styling and functionality add-ons.

All plugins are subject to the authors commitment so other options offer the same amount of certainty.

The main WordPress support forums use bbpress, and it would be mega work to move those over to some other product.

But yes, with open software you make your choices….

Darryl
    Participant

@darrylschmidt

Hey Robin, while the best answer would have been “There’s a new fancy version about to be released” 🙂 I truly appreciate your response.
    You make a lot of sense.
    I’m setting up a test site right now and I’m going to try bbPress again with your plugin.
    thanks bud.

Robin W

@robin-w

you’re welcome 🙂

edenwheeler
    Blocked

@edenwheeler

Yes, bbPress is still a viable solution for creating a forum on a WordPress website. It is designed to integrate smoothly with WordPress and offers features like topic threading and user registration. While there may be other options available, bbPress remains a reliable choice for adding a forum to your WordPress site.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar