Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is bbPress still alive?

• I’ve spent the best part of today, installing bbPress and trying to understand, the often arcane, systems (for a non programmer).

As I’ve worked through the process, I have frequently noticed that forum posts and files dates are very old. I don’t want to invest my time and energy into in a dead-end solution. The plug-in paradigm is dangerous, because of fragmentation and the immense complexity that it can create (updates are riddled with pitfalls).

But … the BIG question I have at this point, is, whether or not bbPress is still being developed? I have noticed that some of the installed files are almost 2 years old.

Grant

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• intimez
    Participant

@intimez

You will see old outdated plugins but the forum is still in the works. Not sure how much of the plugins will be supported in the next version but you can follow the current progress here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

intimez
    Participant

@intimez

You will see old outdated plugins but the forum is still in the works. Not sure how much of the plugins will be supported in the next version but you can follow the current progress here: https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/bbpress-plugin-updates

I sort of feel like I’m listening in on a private conversation when I ‘skim’ that thread. (I couldn’t read it because it’d take me 2 hours and I still wouldn’t understand it).

In resumé, does it mean that bbPress is going to become a plugin for WordPress?

If so : I don’t use WordPress (don’t have a blog), what will this mean for a current bbPress installation?

Grant

I sort of feel like I’m listening in on a private conversation when I ‘skim’ that thread. (I couldn’t read it because it’d take me 2 hours and I still wouldn’t understand it).

In resumé, does it mean that bbPress is going to become a plugin for WordPress?

If so : I don’t use WordPress (don’t have a blog), what will this mean for a current bbPress installation?

Grant

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

bbPress as a plugin is still being developed. bbPress as a standalone still exists.

Rich Pedley

@rich-pedley

bbPress as a plugin is still being developed. bbPress as a standalone still exists.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

1. There would be a 1.1 version for bbPress standalone, which should be out soon.
    2. 1.2 would be the plugin.
    3. You would be able to migrate from standalone to the plugin.
    4. You’d be able to run your wp blog in forum-only mode.

Hope that clears everything.

Gautam Gupta
    Participant

@gautamgupta

1. There would be a 1.1 version for bbPress standalone, which should be out soon.
    2. 1.2 would be the plugin.
    3. You would be able to migrate from standalone to the plugin.
    4. You’d be able to run your wp blog in forum-only mode.

Hope that clears everything.

I was also concerned about this when I installed BBPress (in late November of last year) but have found it is more alive than this site tends to indicate. Activity is hopping on the plugin thread, and I’m really looking forward to it being finished! :)

I was also concerned about this when I installed BBPress (in late November of last year) but have found it is more alive than this site tends to indicate. Activity is hopping on the plugin thread, and I’m really looking forward to it being finished! :)

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar