Categories
Search
Bottom

Is bbpress dead?

• prokops
    Participant

@prokops

Hi!
    I have worked with bbpress for some weeks before I noticed that last update was 2 years ago. Is bbpress dead? What is the future of this platform?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I am just a moderator here, and not a bbpress author.

The authors tend to release updates every few years, rather than more frequently.

My personal view is that you should consider bbpress to be a ‘mature’ product, ie any releases will be to fix issues rather than add functionality.

bbpress is written really well, and has loads of hooks. There are no show stopper bugs in it, it may throw a few deprecation notices (and these are very few at the moment), but WordPress recommends that you should not show error messages in live sites.

I currently have my test site running WordPress 6.3 and php 8.1 with no issues.

The only major issue with bbpress at the moment is that it does not work well with FSE themes.

However my bbp style pack plugin has fixes for this

bbp style pack

as well as block versions of the widgets and a ton of styling and functionality add-ons.

All plugins are subject to the authors commitment, and bbpress is no different.

The main WordPress support forums use bbpress, and it would be mega work to move those over to some other product.

But with open software you make your choices….

jobadoo
    Participant

@jobadoo

We plan to integrate bbPress in a client website How difficult it would be to adopt the style to the one we use (Astra, Elementor?

How is it here with support, bug fixes, and updates?

Thank you

Robin W

@robin-w

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar