Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Is bbPress alive?

• sabine99uber
    Participant

@sabine99uber

Hello, I am planning to create a new forum with bbPress but because there haven’t been updates for 2 years and I am planning to maintain that website for 10 years or so I ask myself if it even still makes sense to use bbPress with a new website?

It works for me but, what about php 8.2?
    What about security updates?
    What about WordPress compatibility.

Is bbPress going to die or practically already dead?
    Does anyone know something about it.

I know it works now but what about in a year, when I have to update my php or stuff like that?

No updates for 1 year+ normally is a really red flag for a plugin…

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

• Dale Reardon
    Participant

@dalereardonmdm

I too am looking forward to hearing whether dev work is continuing.
    I’m not sure how to see from the code repositry if work is being done but just not released or not yet.

Dale.

Terence Pek
    Participant

@terresquall

Same here. I’m building a forum on bbPress myself too, so I’m looking forward to seeing future dev work. The official WordPress site is still using bbPress though, and they are still updating the supported WordPress version on the bbPress plugin, so I think the plugin should still be fine.

Robin W

@robin-w

I am just a moderator here, and not a bbpress author.

The authors tend to release updates every few years, rather than more frequently.

My personal view is that you should consider bbpress to be a ‘mature’ product, ie any releases will be to fix issues rather than add functionality.

bbpress is written really well, and has loads of hooks. There are no show stopper bugs in it, it may throw a few deprecation notices (and these are very few at the moment), but WordPress recommends that you should not show error messages in live sites.

I currently have my test site running 8.1 with no issues.

The only major issue with bbpress at the moment is that it does not work well with FSE themes.

However my bbp style pack plugin has fixes for this

bbp style pack

as well as block versions of the widgets and a ton of styling and functionality add-ons.

All plugins are subject to the authors commitment, and I would not count on ANY plugin having a 10 year support timescale, so other options offer the same amount of certainty.

As @terresquall says the main WordPress support forums use bbpress, and it would be mega work to move those over to some other product.

But yes, with open software you make your choices….

Gregg
    Participant

@lorax

I’ve had several issues with bbpress and PHP 8.2. I really hope bbPress updates soon or I’ll have to switch to another forum.

Robin W

@robin-w

I have bbpress working fine with 8.2 – what issues have you got?

badbert
    Participant

@badbert

Seems like a lot of developers are not doing much foor BBpress anymore 🙁

i wanted to see if there was a plugin to get some core functions for a forum to work:
    – when you click on a topic title, you go to the first unread post (or last post if there are no unread posts)

but the plugins available to do that do not work anymore 🙁 🙁

this function is pretty important for normal forum use!

Robin W

@robin-w

which plugins are you referring to?

badbert
    Participant

@badbert

I found a working plugin for a lot i wanted, but the topic title does not go to the last unread, only the icon that shows there is a new message.

that’s good enough for me 😛

an yes, it is the plugin you linked!

Robin W

@robin-w

🙂

davidalbert
    Participant

@davidalbert

I am planning to create a new forum with bbPress. Do you still have issues on 8.2?

Robin W

@robin-w

I have bbpress working fine with 8.2

Viewing 11 replies - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar