Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Integrate bbpress with an existing WordPress theme?

• Hi,

I want to have a link on my WordPress site called ‘Forum’ in the navigation bar. When clicked on all i want is a simple forum like on wordpress.org and similar to this forum here.

How easy / hard is this to do? People have told me its a nightmare to do with bbpress and an existing theme.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Paul

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Like if you have forums in a folder named ‘forums’, then create a page with the slug as ‘forums’.

Like if you have forums in a folder named ‘forums’, then create a page with the slug as ‘forums’.

Thanks for the reply, i have installed bbpress successfully now, but i cant seem to get the forums to match with my theme >

http://www.myweddingreviews.co.uk

http://www.myweddingreviews.co.uk/forum

I want the forum to be embedded inside of my site, not a different skin if you follow?

Finding it hard to figure out how to do this, i thought it would have been alot easier.

Any ideas mate?

Thanks for the reply, i have installed bbpress successfully now, but i cant seem to get the forums to match with my theme >

http://www.myweddingreviews.co.uk

http://www.myweddingreviews.co.uk/forum

I want the forum to be embedded inside of my site, not a different skin if you follow?

Finding it hard to figure out how to do this, i thought it would have been alot easier.

Any ideas mate?

I wrote this sometime back – http://www.wpwebhost.com/make-bbpress-theme-match-with-wordpress-by-deep-integration/

If you need further help, reach me on email – ashishsainiashfame<<at>>gmail<<dot>>com

I wrote this sometime back – http://www.wpwebhost.com/make-bbpress-theme-match-with-wordpress-by-deep-integration/

If you need further help, reach me on email – ashishsainiashfame<<at>>gmail<<dot>>com

Thanks,

Would it be best to do the deep integration option or just copy the wordpress theme files over to the bb-press theme and have it load seperate?

So essentially you would just be styling the bbpress theme the same to match the wordpress theme?

I have read that by doing the deep integration you will have ‘double loads’ on all pages which would result in slowing down the site?

What do you think?

I had a read over your guide earlier on and i got a little lost when i reached here >

Replace bb_get_header(); ?> by get_header(); ?> <div id=”content class=”narrowcolumn” role=”main”> in all files.

Similarly replace <?php bb_get_footer(); by </div><?php get_sidebar(); get_footer(); in all files.

Thanks,

Would it be best to do the deep integration option or just copy the wordpress theme files over to the bb-press theme and have it load seperate?

So essentially you would just be styling the bbpress theme the same to match the wordpress theme?

I have read that by doing the deep integration you will have ‘double loads’ on all pages which would result in slowing down the site?

What do you think?

I had a read over your guide earlier on and i got a little lost when i reached here >

Replace bb_get_header(); ?> by get_header(); ?> <div id=”content class=”narrowcolumn” role=”main”> in all files.

Similarly replace <?php bb_get_footer(); by </div><?php get_sidebar(); get_footer(); in all files.

Yes you are right about the deep integration.

Matching themes this way is a solution but it comes with a performance penalty but its economical at initial stages.

In that guide, since WordPress is loaded too.

Instead of calling bbPress header file, we call the WordPress header file so as to bring the code from there. Same goes with the sidebar and footer.

That’s how forums are housed inside WordPress theme.

Yes you are right about the deep integration.

Matching themes this way is a solution but it comes with a performance penalty but its economical at initial stages.

In that guide, since WordPress is loaded too.

Instead of calling bbPress header file, we call the WordPress header file so as to bring the code from there. Same goes with the sidebar and footer.

That’s how forums are housed inside WordPress theme.

Which method would you say is easiest to go with out of the 2? Deep integration or copying the wp theme to bbpress theme?

I just got a bit lost with the guide you have done, like installing the intergration plugin (why is it needed, what does it do, where do you paste the code etc), the bbpress theme, replace header/footer/sidebar etc? How does it get the wordpress header/footer etc??

Just bit lost, sorry to be a pain

Which method would you say is easiest to go with out of the 2? Deep integration or copying the wp theme to bbpress theme?

I just got a bit lost with the guide you have done, like installing the intergration plugin (why is it needed, what does it do, where do you paste the code etc), the bbpress theme, replace header/footer/sidebar etc? How does it get the wordpress header/footer etc??

Just bit lost, sorry to be a pain

deep integration is easier if you know how to mess around with html & css.

Integration plugin is solely needed for the purpose of generating bbPress admin side cookies when a user logs in from WordPress side. If you don’t use it, everything will be fine, just you won’t be able to access bbPress dashboard unless you login from bbPress side.

but this clearly doesn’t affect regular normal users as they don’t have to access the dashboard, only you have to.

deep integration is easier if you know how to mess around with html & css.

Integration plugin is solely needed for the purpose of generating bbPress admin side cookies when a user logs in from WordPress side. If you don’t use it, everything will be fine, just you won’t be able to access bbPress dashboard unless you login from bbPress side.

but this clearly doesn’t affect regular normal users as they don’t have to access the dashboard, only you have to.

I’ve tried deep integration, but I’m running into some problems.

Loading the WordPress header and footer instead of the bbPress ones work (I want to use my WordPress custom menu on the forum pages as well) but add_custom_background(); does not work on bbPress pages.

I’ve tried deep integration, but I’m running into some problems.

Loading the WordPress header and footer instead of the bbPress ones work (I want to use my WordPress custom menu on the forum pages as well) but add_custom_background(); does not work on bbPress pages.

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar