Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installing in the root directory?

• cronhound
    Participant

@cronhound

Hi, I’m currently running a forum using the MyBB forum software.

For a while now, I’ve considered moving to the bbPress platform, but one thing is stopping me from doing it.

As my site is nothing but a forum, having the forum in a sub-directory is something I do not wish to have, especially since my current domain already contains the word forums.

Is there a way to have the forum at the root directory of the site?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• Jakob Langlois
    Participant

@jakoblanglois

If I understood you correctly this is what you’re after.

When in the dashboard, navigate to Settings > Reading.

Change the option that’s called Front page displays to a static page and choose the home page (assuming you’ve created a page to be the front page).

Now navigate to Pages > All Pages and edit the page you selected to be your home page (usually “home”).

Enter the shortcode [bbp-forum-index] and then publish.

For a full list of available shortcodes, visit https://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/

Upon further testing, I noticed that this will not edit the breadcrumbs and will show Home > Forums (linking to domain.com/forums). I also tested this by changing the forum root slug in Settings > Forums to “home” (the page I have set to be my front page) and it now shows Home > Home

I am unsure as to how this would be fixed though…

@jakoblanglois has it right, to fix the last issue he describes when just need to modify the breadcrumbs behaviour a bit…

Uncheck the ‘Forum Prefix – Prefix all forum content with the Forum Root slug (Recommended)’ in bbPress settings and then the last bit…

Upon further testing, I noticed that this will not edit the breadcrumbs and will show Home > Forums (linking to domain.com/forums).

Tweak the settings of the breadcrumb using some custom arguments, this is based on the code here though what I have below just removes the ‘forums root’ from the breadcrumb…

<?php
    /*
    Plugin Name: bbPress - Custom Breadcrumbs
    Plugin URI: https://gist.github.com/ntwb/7781901
    Description: bbPress - Custom Breadcrumbs
    Version: 0.1
    Author: Stephen Edgar - Netweb
    Author URI: http://netweb.com.au
    */

add_filter('bbp_before_get_breadcrumb_parse_args', 'ntwb_bbpress_custom_breadcrumb' );

function ntwb_bbpress_custom_breadcrumb() {

// Forum root
    	$args['include_root']    = false;

return $args;
    }

Copy the above into a file named ntwb_bbpress_custom_breadcrumb.php in your plugins folder 🙂

cronhound
    Participant

@cronhound

Thanks @jakoblanglois and @netweb, it worked like a charm.

jh20001
    Participant

@jh20001

I too must say thanks! Albeit a bit of time has gone by since the last post, but this is the one I fell on and this is the one that worked for me 😀

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar