Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installed but it's no where to be seen

• Hi there

Picked bbpress as it looks nice & is also linked with wp. Not the first time i used a forum plugin (simple:press years ago) but after installing…….nada, niente, nothing. The back end features are visible from the dashboard but nothing else, it act’s like it created a new page titled “forum” but it didn’t. Even if i create a new page titled “forum” still nothing. I was assuming I’d have to place some snippet on the page (like the way you’d put [nggallery-1] if you wanted a next gen gallery to appear) but if there is some code snippet to place i find no mention of it. Even this site only offers under “Simple Installation”

Simple Setup
    Coming soon, I promise!

Any opinions ? did i omit something upon installation, is some documentation lacking ?

Thank you

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I’ll take it as a compliment that you’re lost in the simplicity if it all.

If you go to Settings > Forums, you’ll see the slugs for where your forums and topics live. You’re free to change these obviously, and also free to manipulate the output with shortcodes or customized templates in your theme.

Thanks for the quick reply but still nada.
    I’m not new to this either or thick headed but 1+1 isn’t equaling 2 someplace along the line.
    I see exactly what you are talking about but what next ?
    For example there is this box to check off which reads
    “Prefix your forum area with the Forum Base slug (Recommended)”
    I interpret that to mean that it’ll auto add whatever is needed, maybe brackets like [ ]
    and all I need to do is write the appropriate slug name but because there is no doc with it
    or on the site I have no idea what is the correct procedure, is it “forum” or “forums” ?
    To reference Next Gen Gallery again I know i have to write [nggallery-whatever] because it says so
    on the admin page for that plugin (plus they also add a convenient button to your page/post menu)
    It seems like this is such a minor yet fundamental aspect of a proper installation
    but something isn’t fitting together the right way

thanks again

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

I don’t understand.

bbPress doesn’t have any reason to use brackets in URLs. Slugs are parts of a URL.

Example: http://domain.com/forums/ <–‘forums’ is the root slug of your forums

I’m pretty sure this is what your looking for https://codex.bbpress.org/shortcodes/

Thanks again

I appreciate your efforts but it still isn’t working. I changed both the page name & permalink to “forums” and tried it in various browsers and an incognito window on chrome but nothing appears there but a blank page. After editing the page when selecting preview or updating & choosing view page all i get is this message:
    “Well this is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it?
    It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.”

I don’t know whats wrong, I’ve been using wp for 5+ years and I was excited to see that here is a forum plugin made by wp themselves but it’s not connecting.

Try creating a page called ‘forum-test’ and add the shortcode [bbp-forum-index]

You sir are the hero of the day.

Does that exist anyplace here for a user to find or on some backend page of the plugin so it can be referenced ? If it doesn’t it should. Hours of frustration relieved by the right code.

If i were a woman I’d offer to bear your children

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Asking “where are the shortcodes” would have probably helped us help you.

Asking Google for “bbPress Shortcodes” would have eventually gotten you there, too. 🙂

Well that was a short lived honeymoon. Returning to it tonight this is what I see now

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@blahblahblah.com and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 500 Internal Server Error error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar