Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installed BBpress and it screwed up my RSS to Mailchimp feed

• nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

I just installed BBpress and it screwed up my RSS to Mailchimp feed.

My web site is set to create my newsletter automatically from my wordpress site’s RSS feed.

However, when the BBpress plugin is enabled Mailchimp makes a mess of the formatting and displays unnecessary text from the RSS feed (looks like the body text).

Disable BBpress and it works fine again.. The issue only started after I installed bbpress for the first time.

Any ideas? I’n not sure where to go from here..

Thanks
    Rob

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

Vinod Dalvi
    Participant

@vinod-dalvi

Does the default WordPress RSS field works fine for you?

Could you please contact mailchimp support regarding this?

nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

@vinod Thanks for your reply I have logged this with MailChimp also.

When I disable the bbpress plugin mailchimp works fine. Is this not a bbpress issue to fix?

Robin W

@robin-w

@nwbus – the way open source software works is that we all try and code not to conflict with each other.

However with thousands of themes and tens of thousands of plugins, conflict inevitably occurs.

It is not anyone’s ‘fault’, just a fact of life.

I don’t know mailchimp, so can’t comment on the issue you are having, but it is worth contacting mailchimp’s support to see if they know of this issue.

nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

@robin-w I’m not blaming anyone, however responsibility needs to be taken by parties involved in order to attain a solution.

Hopefully someone at Mailchimp will take ownership…

nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

Reply from MailChimp Support – I would agree this is a bbPress issue to address..

“Thanks for contacting us here in Support. I can certainly understand the concern there, and I’m happy to help out in any way I can.

In your forum post you mentioned that there is no issue when bbPress is not enabled. Based on that information, the issue seems to be related to a plugin conflict rather than an issue with pulling the RSS feed on our end. I recommend contacting bbPress’ support folks to see if they’re able to shed some light on how enabling the plugin will impact the feed. If not, I recommend trying out another plugin that would allow you to add a forum to your site. It’s possible that another plugin would not have this issue. ”

I replied asking them if they were sure they were not going to help and they came back to me and said:

“First, I’d like to clarify how MailChimp interacts with RSS feeds. When using an RSS campaign, MailChimp will pull the RSS feed shortly before the campaign’s scheduled sending time. The RSS merge tags pull content from the XML code for the RSS feed. The app cannot alter the appearance of the content in the feed. It will only display what appears in the code. If you’re not able to disable the plugin, it may be a good idea to consider another feed host to generate a URL that can be used in MailChimp.

While we’re happy to troubleshoot however we can, we’re limited in our support of third party systems. The bbPress plugin is not developed WordPress, but by bbPress Community. They’ll be the best resource on how to troubleshoot any plugin conflicts between bbPress and the site.

Please don’t hesitate to write back in if there is anything else I can help with, and I’ll be sure to keep an eye out for any replies.”

The ball is in your court bbPress – can anyone help me please?

Robin W

@robin-w

have you tried bbpress and rss without mailchimp ? Does that work ?

nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

Hi @robin-w – please can you explain how to run that test?

Robin W

@robin-w

In essence the core issue is that ‘with bbpress’ the ‘feed’ is showing the whole article, whereas without it is showing the excerpt which is what you want- is that correct?

Since bbpress has rss and a site does not need to have mailchimp to run rss, I presume that you could test if you have an issue without mailchimp, which would help eliminate (or otherwise) your theme and/or other plugins as contributing to the issue, but as I said earlier I’m not a mailchimp guy, so I may be talking crap.

Given that bbpress has over 300,000 active installations, and mailchimp 900,000 – I kinda presuming that if this was a common issue that it would be known about, as others would be running this combination.

I am trying to help you 🙂

nwbus
    Participant

@nwbus

issue still exists.. I disabled all plugins and as soon as I enabled bbpress it screwed up my mailchimp RSS campaign…

I can’t be the only one out there with this configuration surely..

Looking around at other forum software now.. tired of trying to find a solution..

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar