Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installation of bbpress

• johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Hi, I had a fully functional version of bbpress and have changed my domain name in repurposing my site, however when I log in to the dashboard where bbpress had three tabs Forum, Topics and Replies but recently have only two Topics and Replies so am unable to create new forum topics. The menu name I used for access the forums was Forum or Forums which I have read somewhere can create a clash, I have uninstalled and reinstalled bbpress a few times but cannot get it to work. wordpress 6.2.2, Ocean WP template, Elementor 3.13.4, Elementor pro 3.13.2 the link being geelongtoday.com Thanks

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

have a look in

dashboard>users>your username

you should be a ‘keymaster’

let me know what that says

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Thanks Robin, the Keymaster is there but its assigned to a different identity is there a way to change the assignments? I cannot find that role listed anywhere to apply it.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so yes only keymasters can see forums in the dashboard

and only a keymaster can appoint another keymaster, so you’ll need to get the ID with the role to appoint you :

dashboard>users>all users> and select the ID you want to appoint, then edit and near the bottom you’ll see the bbpress roles listed.

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Hi Robin, I have destroyed the keymaster entity but am thinking that on a clean install that BBpress would select the administrator account as the keymaster so I find myself wondering why it does not attach itself to the person who has the administrator function for the website because I have not found the word keymaster anywhere in the drop downs pertaining to roles.

Robin W

@robin-w

I’m not a bbpress author, so cannot comment on why.

ok, so if there are no keymasters, if you add this plugin:

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>bug fixes

you will get the ability to add yourself back as a keymaster

Neha wilas
    Participant

@rachana7

ok I will try for install bbpress.

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Thanks Robin, unfortunately didn’t work. Surely there must be a way, there’s certainly a will but from what I have read I need to add some code somewhere! The other alternative I have read about is deactivating other plugins one by one, its very frustrating given it worked beautifully when first set up.

Robin W

@robin-w

sorry, I don’t understand.

do you have someone who is a keymaster or not?

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

I did have but I deleted the only entity that was a keymaster because there was one listed which didn’t make the forum appear, I was under the impression that it was the wrong selection as I had updated the website to a different domain and the old keymaster was the main administrator of the previous domain and I felt that if I deleted that entity the keymaster would automatically reassign to the only administrator for the site, but that obviously didn’t happen.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so if you have no keamasters, I refer you back to my previous post about installing the additional plugin, you can uninstall it aftwerwards, it just lets you add a keymaster if you are an admin and there are no keymasters assigned.

if that is what you meant by ‘ unfortunately didn’t work.’, the you need to say exactly what you mean by that statement, what did you do, see, press and what happened

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Hi Robin, I followed exactly your instructions but nothing changed. I still have the BB style pack but I think the issue is that bbpress is not seeking out the administrator as it no doubt does for a new clean installation either attaching to the administrator or the site owner. This is the second time we have changed the domain name and I suspect there are remnants of the old domains in the files somewhere which would explain why this instance of bbpress is not installing properly to the extent the forum tab and the keymaster are not being created and may explain why your solution is not being recognised by the site. I downloaded and activated the plugin gone to the bug fixes and have tried to add myself back in but after hitting the save button nothing happens and the screen shows that there is no keymaster exactly how it did before I pressed save. I have also tried some other approaches on the software but no change.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, that is strange, and not sure why that would happen.

The fact that the option to add keymaster back appears should mean that it just goes through ok.

I think you will need to add it back within the database.

do you have phpmyadmin access ?

Robin W

@robin-w

Just had another thought

can you go to

dashboard>settings>permalinks and just click save.

This resets the permalinks.

Then try the keymaster bug fix again

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Hi Robin, I may have mentioned but my hosting provider advised me to deactivate and then delete bbpress then reinstall it thinking it would remove all or any database issues obviously expecting me to then have a clean install and everything would work out ok. But it hasn’t so now he is saying that I could hire him as a developer for $100.00 an hour payable if its a developer issue and says if it turns out to be a hosting issue he would not charge at all. This seems to me to be a conflict of interest and I would like to have someone independent have a look and I would be happy to pay someone to advise me on whether it is a hosting issue or a coding issue, if you know of anyone please refer them to me.

Robin W

@robin-w

contact me via

Contact me

with a link back to this thread

johnboyfred11
    Participant

@johnboyfred11

Thank you so much, the issue was driving me nuts

Viewing 16 replies - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar