Installation for Dummy
It’s been two days since I started trying to install bbpress and I’ve scoured the forums and the internet to try to find an answer without much luck (isn’t there a FAQ somewhere for people like me?)
Here’s the details on what I did.
1. Created a new database called “bbpress” in cpanel, the database name it gives me is thechonx_bbpress
2. Added user from my wordpress database, thechonx_chinker
3. downloaded, unzipped bbpress, edited config-sample.php and renamed it to config.php (how I edited it is shown below–I think I should change BBDB Host, but don’t know what to change it to)
4. Created a folder in my public_html root (where all my wp files are uploaded) called “forum”
5. Uploaded all the files (minus original “bbpress” folder) to “forum”
6. Opened this address in my Firefox browser (I am running Mac OS Leopard 10.5.1): http://www.thechonx.com/forum/bb-admin/install.php
–attempted other URLs like localhost led to blank pages or 404 pages
7. Received “Cannot Select DB” error
I’ve tried a dozen other variations of the above, mostly changing config file info but no dice. Help please!
// ** MySQL settings ** //
define(‘BBDB_NAME’, ‘thechonx_wordpress’); // The name of the database
define(‘BBDB_USER’, ‘thechonx_chinker’); // Your MySQL username
define(‘BBDB_PASSWORD’, ‘xxxxxxxxxxx’); // …and password
define(‘BBDB_HOST’, ‘localhost’); // 99% chance you won’t need to change these last few
define(‘BBDB_CHARSET’, ‘utf8’); // If you are *upgrading*, and your old config.php does
define(‘BBDB_COLLATE’, ”); // not have these two contstants in them, DO NOT define them
// If you are installing for the first time, leave them here
// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.
$bb_table_prefix = ‘bb_’; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!
// The full URL of your bbPress install
$bb->uri = ‘http://www.thechonx.com/forum/’;
// What are you going to call me?
$bb->name = ‘Rumble in The Chonx’;
// This must be set before you run the install script.
$bb->admin_email = ‘thalia.kwok@XXXXX’;
// Set to true if you want pretty permalinks, set to ‘slugs’ if you want to use slug based pretty permalinks.
$bb->mod_rewrite = ‘slugs’;
// The number of topics that show on each page.
$bb->page_topics = 30;
// A user can edit a post for this many minutes after submitting.
$bb->edit_lock = 60;
// Your timezone offset. Example: -7 for Pacific Daylight Time.
$bb->gmt_offset = 8;
// Change this to localize bbPress. A corresponding MO file for the
// chosen language must be installed to bb-includes/languages.
// For example, install de.mo to bb-includes/languages and set BBLANG to ‘de’
// to enable German language support.
// Your Akismet Key. You do not need a key to run bbPress, but if you want to take advantage
// of Akismet’s powerful spam blocking, you’ll need one. You can get an Akismet key at
$bb->akismet_key = ”; // Example: ‘0123456789ab’
// The rest is only useful if you are integrating bbPress with WordPress.
// If you’re not, just leave it as it is.
$bb->wp_table_prefix = ‘wp_’; // WordPress table prefix. Example: ‘wp_’;
/* Stop editing */
if ( !defined(‘BBPATH’) )
define(‘BBPATH’, dirname(__FILE__) . ‘/’ );
require_once( BBPATH . ‘bb-settings.php’ );
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.