Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installation Epic Fail..Help

• Cordelia0704

@cordelia0704

I followed the installation instructions, but when I go to the intended directory I get a 404 page error. I have absolutely no idea what went wrong.

I unzipped the folder, uploaded the files to a directory in the same folder as my wordpress installation, went to the url and I get the 404 error. Tried going directly to the admin.php file as well and I get the same 404 error. Anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

• terraling
    Participant

@terraling

I just joined the forums to be able to ask about my failed install, but I think I see your problem having just gone through the install myself (albeit unsuccessfully).

You say you uploaded the files to your wordpress directory.

You’re not supposed to.

If your site is example.com and you want bbpress to live at example.com/forums/ then use your ftp program to create a directory called forums in your root directory (ie at the *same level* or alongside your wordpress directory, not *in* it), and copy all of the bbpress files into that directory.

Then in your browser visit example.com/forums/ and an installation wizard should start up (not that it does for me).

terraling
    Participant

@terraling

I just joined the forums to be able to ask about my failed install, but I think I see your problem having just gone through the install myself (albeit unsuccessfully).

You say you uploaded the files to your wordpress directory.

You’re not supposed to.

If your site is example.com and you want bbpress to live at example.com/forums/ then use your ftp program to create a directory called forums in your root directory (ie at the *same level* or alongside your wordpress directory, not *in* it), and copy all of the bbpress files into that directory.

Then in your browser visit example.com/forums/ and an installation wizard should start up (not that it does for me).

Cordelia0704

@cordelia0704

I have a password protected directory on a sub domain. wordpress is the only thing installed on it. I want the forums to fall under the same password protection so that my members don’t need to use 2 logins to use what *should* be a functional part of the site their used to. so I tried uploading it into a directory called bbpress on that sub domain with wordpress installed.

I guess my post was a little confusing, but trust me, so is my server set up :P

Cordelia0704

@cordelia0704

I have a password protected directory on a sub domain. wordpress is the only thing installed on it. I want the forums to fall under the same password protection so that my members don’t need to use 2 logins to use what *should* be a functional part of the site their used to. so I tried uploading it into a directory called bbpress on that sub domain with wordpress installed.

I guess my post was a little confusing, but trust me, so is my server set up :P

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar