Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Installation Complete…BUT…Forum “Page Not Found”

• beardownarizona

@beardownarizona

Okay, so here’s how the story goes…

I downloaded bbPress 1.0-alpha3 because I’m using WordPress 2.6.3…however I’m not sure if that even matters since I don’t really want to integrate the two.

I removed all the installation files from the bbpress folder, and placed them into my /forums directory. I did this because I wanted my forums to be in http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums, not beardownarizona.com/forums/bbpress.

Once all the files were installed via FTP into my /forums directory, I went to the site and proceeded with the installation. The first screen said “There doesn’t seem to be a bb-config.php file. This usually means that you want to install bbPress. ” so I continued and put in my database name, username, password, along with my host.

When I hit “save database configuration” I got a ridiculously long error message:

Warning: fopen(D:Hosting3362703htmlforums/bb-config.php) [function.fopen]: failed to open stream: Permission denied in D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-adminincludesclass.bb-install.php on line 1019

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-adminincludesclass.bb-install.php on line 1025

Warning: fwrite(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-adminincludesclass.bb-install.php on line 1025

Warning: fclose(): supplied argument is not a valid stream resource in D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-adminincludesclass.bb-install.php on line 1031

Warning: chmod() [function.chmod]: No such file or directory in D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-adminincludesclass.bb-install.php on line 1033

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-adminincludesclass.bb-install.php:1025) in D:Hosting3362703htmlforumsbb-includesfunctions.bb-core.php on line 842

So instead of hassling with that, I created my own bb-config.php file, and uploaded it to the /forums directory. This allowed me to complete the entire installation. However it had one minor error, which said “Key master email not sent!” The installation log is below:

`Referrer is OK, beginning installation…

Step 1 – Creating database tables

>>> Modifying database: beardownforum (beardownforum.db.3362703.hostedresource.com)

>>>>>> Table: bb_forums

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_meta

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_posts

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_terms

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_term_relationships

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_term_taxonomy

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_topics

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_users

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

>>>>>> Table: bb_usermeta

>>>>>>>>> Creating table

>>>>>>>>>>>> Done

Step 2 – WordPress integration (optional)

>>> Integration not enabled

Step 3 – Site settings

>>> Site name: Bear Down Arizona Forums

>>> Site address (URL): http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/

>>> From email address: brad@beardownarizona.com

>>> Key master created

>>>>>> Username: beardownarizona

>>>>>> Email address: brad@beardownarizona.com

>>>>>> Password: (password removed)

>>> Description: Just another bbPress community

>>> Forum name: Bear Down Forums

>>>>>> Topic: Your first topic

>>>>>>>>> Post: First Post! w00t.

>>> Key master email not sent!

There were some errors encountered during installation!’

Now when I go to my forums page at http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums, I get a “page not found” error. I’ve double checked my installation files, and they are all there, so I don’t think I’m missing any files…

I’m just at a complete loss for how to proceed. I just want to install the forums on the page, I’m not worried about integration or anything like that, since I don’t really have “users” on my main site. The forums are going to be used for that purpose.

If it makes a difference, I’m using godaddy as my host…If you have any ideas for how I can fix this, please let me know!!

Thanks!

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Pretty interesting. This image is in the right spot:

http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/bb-templates/kakumei/images/page_header_bblogo.png

So some of it is where you think it is. Maybe there’s no index.php file in the forums/ directory? Maybe there’s an .htaccess overriding the settings causing trouble?

beardownarizona

@beardownarizona

Yeah…this seems to work fine too: http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/register.php

index.php is in the /forums directory, and there are no .htaccess files that I can find.

So weird, I really have no clue where to go from here! I really like the look and feel of bbPress…I’d hate to have to try and find something else…

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If you contact me off list I can help you resolve it.

How about an .htaccess file in the root directory?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

If this is a Windows server, I don’t think the .htaccess file would matter.

I get a 404 when I try to access this (should be200 OK or maybe 302 Redirect):

http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/index.php

But this does not error out:

http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/forum.php

File permissions or ownership?

beardownarizona

@beardownarizona

what permissions should I change?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I wondered only if the permissions or ownership on the index.php file were wrong. Never used a Windows server so I’m not sure if that’s a good guess or not.

beardownarizona

@beardownarizona

how could I check?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I’ve been working with Brad to help resolve this. We’ve finally made some progress.

1. We needed to use the iis_fix plugin from _ck_. Otherwise, any page other than the first page just gets stuck in a reloading loop. Installing this plugin, as an autoload plugin or manually activated plugin, takes care of that problem.

2. When the index.php file is renamed to default.php, the site works fine. When it’s left named index.php, the forum comes up as a 404 error for the front page of the forum only. You can access other pages directly, by adding to the URL. But if you try to load http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/ or http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/index.php you get a 404 error. If you rename index.php to default.php, http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/ loads the front page of the forum just fine.

GoDaddy serves the DirectoryIndex file in this order:

http://help.godaddy.com/article/61

So renaming index.php to default.php (or even leaving index.php there and just copying it to a file called default.php) works just fine.

I also found, with the plugin installed, and this line commented out in index.php, that index.php works fine, and the forums will also load fine when accessed at http://www.beardownarizona.com/forums/ .

/* bb_repermalink(); */

So long as that function is not called in the index.php, index.php works just fine on this server.

So, here are the questions:

1. will bbPress work OK without an index.php and just a default.php being the DirectoryIndex file? (it seems to be fine)

2. can the bb_repermalink(); line be commented out in index.php if the site is not using permalinks? Would commenting it out affect anything else negatively?

3. What does that function do that would cause the index.php file to come up as a 404 when it’s clearly there? It’s almost like it’s trying to load index.php, index.php says “rewrite the URL to {something else}” then it fails to find index.php.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

It’s a Windows server, IIS7, PHP 5.2.5.

Viewing 9 replies - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar