Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I’m the keymaster/admin; but can’t approve topics/replies?

• ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Wordpress 5.2.2
    bbPress 2.5.14
    URL: forums are private, so URL won’t be helpful.

There’s no button or link to approve anything in my forums. Everything’s just pending. In the past, I replies showed up (when we first installed this; we haven’t used it in a long time, and just getting back into getting these set up). When I click to preview the replies/topics, they are just titles, nothing is written about the topic. We’re testing the forums with my team, so I know each team member wrote something and submitted it — they didn’t just write a title. Additionally, each of them are moderators, wouldn’t their posts just go through since they have the power to approve posts, too (or should, if this was working)?

What is happening? Why:

is nothing showing up for the content part of their replies and topics
      why aren’t their posts going through automatically (since they are moderators)
      why can I not — as the admin/keymaster, see the “approve” link?

Here’s a screenshot:

https://share.getcloudapp.com/Z4uZkZ2K moderation

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress does not by default put anything inmpending

what bbpress related plugins are you running that might do moderation ?

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Hey Robin, thank you so much for your help. I don’t see a plugin that we have that specifically does any type of post moderation once written by the user. The only plugins I have are one for uploading attachments (GD bbPress Attachments) to the posts and one that restricts access to the forums through our membership plugin (Ultimate Member bbPress Extension). Here’s more info on those:

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm, I can only suggest that

It could be a theme or plugin issue

Themes

As a test switch to a default theme such as twentyfifteen, and see if this fixes.

Plugins

If that doesn’t work, also deactivate all plugins apart from bbpress and see if this fixes. if it does, re-enable one at a time to see which is causing the error.

Then come back

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Unfortunately, my staging site doesn’t allow me to switch themes for some reason. I tried in the past on an earlier bbPress support post I put here. 🙁 I also tried deactivating all the plugins, but it’s still not doing anything.

I read on bbPress that there is an “Approve” function that should be showing up, so it seems that there is a setting for moderation in the plugin? Just not sure what’s going on since the “Approve” used to show up but it doesn’t anymore. I updated bbPress a while back and hadn’t used it since the update, so I’m unsure when the issue actually started happening.

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Any chance that there are developers out there I can pay to help with this? It seems like such a simple fix but I am at a loss and our nonoprofit’s forums are all set up — but completely useless. 🙁

Robin W

@robin-w

so how do you get to the screen you posted headed

‘bbPress moderation’ ??

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Hi Robin 🙂 Just through my sites WP Admin dashboard > Topics or dashboard > Replies. These are all listed in the bbpress section of my admin’s dashboard. See screenshot: https://share.getcloudapp.com/RBuPLjj8

bbPress admin area - topic/reply/forum area

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

bbPress screenshot of admin area where moderation is

Robin W

@robin-w

I read on bbPress that there is an “Approve” function

not that I know of, but I’m not one of the authors, just someone who helps out. Can you point me to documentation?

If it is showing in the replies section then if you select a reply, in the right hand side of the post you will see a box called ‘publish’ and you’ll see ‘status : pending review’ click the ‘publish’ at the bottom right of this box to approve

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Oh my goodness — is there not a faster way? I would love to just select all and just hit “publish” and not have to go into each individual reply and publish (several steps per each post and reply; I’m just one person!). Or how do I approve all posts to automatically go through for specific people? I can’t imagine that every forum owner has to review and individually hit “publish” on every post and topic… do they?

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

(P.S. Thank you — that is not at all intuitive, so I appreciate you showing that to me, Robin. Wow! But still shocked to have to go through all of that just to get a reply published!) 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

because I can’t say why your posts are going to ‘pending’, I can’t really help with how to stop this.

There are over 300,000 installations of bbpress, and this is certainty not a problem I can remember being posted befire without some moderation software being involved.

Do you have askimet on your site ?

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Completely understandable Robin. I don’t have askimet on the site. We have comments turned off on our regular posts (our articles or blog posts) so no one can leave comments on our articles; do you see that doing anything to the forums with topics and replies not going through automatically?

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, last throw of the dice, have you looked at

dashboard>settings>discussion and see if changing anything in there helps?

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Hey Robin, thanks so much for sticking with me here! Great idea with checking that area. This is what I’m seeing in the discussion settings (the other portion, the blacklisting, just has curse words blocked, which weren’t in any of the posts/replies, so I thought just this top part was relevant):

Discussion Settings in WP

Seeing anything there that might need to be changed?

Robin W

@robin-w

I’d try removing those and see if it changes anything – you say that users can’t post comments anyway, so that section should not affect comments on posts

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Okay, I’ve removed all of the “holds” in the discussion area, including the portion that is supposed to email me if there are posts held for moderation. I’ll report back here either way in case we need to dig deeper (if you’re keen) or in case we find a solution and we can add it to our knowledge bank! 🙂

Robin W

@robin-w

thanks, let us know how you get on

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Okay, Robin — very odd, but halfway-successful…? (Hey, it’s a start, right? 🙂 A new topic came through (yay!) but a new reply was held as “pending” and had to be manually published. Funny thing is, it was the same author, so she would have the exact same permissions! Ideas?

Also, I’m going mad with not seeing breadcrumbs at the top; I keep trying to see where the posts are showing up and have to go back to admin to seek them out. Sigh. One thing at a time… 🙂

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Oops. Spoke too soon, Robin. It wasn’t auto-published. One of the other site moderators published it after I showed them how. So it looks like they still aren’t self-publishing for some reason? Dang. :/

ginaginagina
    Participant

@ginaginagina

Hey Robin and everyone else who might read this! I thought I would post the really simple solution! After TONS of staging site/plugin/permissions/theme/cache/etc. tests, Robin, you were right about it being in the “dashboard>settings>discussion settings” area — it was my list of moderated (blacklisted) words that was causing things not to work. It’s unfortunate, since I definitely don’t want instances of “www” or “.com” or “dot com” showing up in forum posts by people who are trying to bypass spam filters, but I had to remove those from the moderation list because I didn’t realize that it affects anyone who is writing a post on the site. From the description above the moderation field a comment that includes any of the blacklisted or moderated words that not only are included in the post, but also come from the “…name, URL, email, or IP address” of the poster, will be held for moderation (or deleted, in the case of blacklisting). Since everyone coming to our site has www or https or http or .com or something along those lines in their login info/email address, there’s no way to stop comments that include those since it also stops all users who are registered on our site via an email address. Once I removed those phrases from my moderation list and blacklist, we’re able to post freely and immediately (at least it looks like for now!).

While I really regret that we can’t blacklist/moderate *just* the posts/replies that contain phrases like .com or www etc., it’s still great to find the problem — thank you, Robin!

Robin W

@robin-w

wow !! Thanks for posting, and yes that is really interesting – I’ll remember that for future

Viewing 22 replies - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar