Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I need help – get config.php error message…

• I keep getting this error message when I try to go to the url; An old config.php file has been detected in your installation. You should remove it and run the installer again. You can use the same database connection details if you do.

I tried to search for the file, but couldn’t find it. Does anyone know what I’m doing wrong?

Thanks!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • delete the bb-config.php file and reinstall by going to the url

where is that file located? The only file I could find relating to bb-config is bb-config-sample.php. Also, what do you mean reinstall by going to the url? Sorry, i’m a complete amateur.

yes exactly where bb-config-sample.php reside.

there should be another file named bb-config.php

Delete it and then you can open the url in browser as domain.com/bbpress

for some reason it’s not there..you think it is located somewhere else within the folder? i tried searching for it but couldn’t find it anywhere

Anyone know where it could be? I searched again and couldn’t find any file name under bb-config.php. It has to be within bb press correct?

Actually, is there any possible way someone could copy the code for the bb-config.php page so I can have it an install it on my server since I can’t seem to find it?

Thanks!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

The file bb-config.php is created by the installer using bb-config-sample.php as a template. If you don’t have a bb-config.php then you don’t have to delete it.

Do you have a file called config.php in this directory or one directory up? bbpress will complain if so. You will need to rename that file temporarily is you’re using it for other software.

I have a config.php in my main directory but not the one where bbpress is located..I created a sub directory called forum where the bbpress files are located so do i need to create that file within that? I just can’t figure out what would be sending that error message.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

bbPress will complain about a config.php in its own directory OR the one above. Temporarily rename it if you can. The installer will complain because the bb-config.php used to be called config.php and the installer thinks that’s why you have this file here.

Ok so I just need to change the name and will that fix the problem? If there is multiple config.php files in other folders do I need to change those as well?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Only one level up and the current directory. If the file is still being used by other software, be sure you change the name back properly after installing bbPress.

Ok, that got me to the next step. Now, when I go to enter in my database info, I get this error message; DB Error: cannot select. Do you know what that would be from or what i’m doing wrong? Thanks for the help!

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

That means you entered incorrect database information, or did not enter the database host. Do you have four pieces of information from your host for connecting to the database?

Database name

Database user name

Database password

Database host

If you have a host to enter, you have to tick the “advanced database details” or something like that to enter this last piece of information. Otherwise, bbPress will try to connect to localhost, and if the database is not there, you will get this error.

If the database IS on localhost and you have just 3 pieces of database connection information, then one of your details is incorrect.

Stick with it; you’re almost there.

Thanks so much for your help! I finally got it up and running!

Viewing 14 replies - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar