Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I get email as admin to noreply@mydomain.com on every darn post

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so what theme and plugins do you have?

randrcomputers
    Participant

@randrcomputers

Kleo theme and many plugins. site is vpinball.com i have tried disabling plugins here and there but is still happening.

Robin W

@robin-w

I take it you neither subscribe to every forum, or have a plugin that does mail type stuff?

randrcomputers
    Participant

@randrcomputers

Correct. It seems to always email noreply@vpinball.com every single new post/topic in bbpress like I subscribed to everything but didn’t as I don’t even have a email setup for noreply@vpinball.com on anything. My searches on google came up with a people having same issue and from what I read it seems a core bbpress issue? but I find that hard to believe.

Robin W

@robin-w

so what does the email say?

is it

you are receiving this email because you subscribed to a forum topic. etc.

randrcomputers
    Participant

@randrcomputers

I will attach a link to some screen shots don’t see an attachment option here. What seems to be happening is members may subscribe but seems to be also sending to noreply@mydomian.com as well?
    Here is Dropbox link to some screenshots
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7wm80umxnjm5vfk/AADET2hXYDOGlRfFKxVVwcRXa?dl=0

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, that opened up a whole new area, and I think I’ve worked out what is happening !

When a new topic/reply is created, bbpress sends a email

to : noreply@vpinball.com
    bcc : all the subscribers of that topic

Bbpress changed how this works in a recent version. It used to send an email per user, but many mail servers saw say 200 emails going at once as spam, and blocked them.

So now bbpress sends to an address and blind copies all the users, so that in most cases a single email is sent. This still creates a risk, as some mail servers block multiple bcc’s over a certain number, but is probably better for most sites.

Now the problem with this is that some mailservers will return invalid email addresses, and as your noreply email doesn’t exist, you get a failed.

so you could

1. create the noreply email address on your system, so that a mailbox gets them, and every so often just clear it out.
    2. change that noreply email address to a valid email – I can give you code to make it anything you want, but as with 1 above a mailbox will get them so it will fill up.
    3. change the code to send emails individually – the old code is somewhere.

Let me know your thoughts

randrcomputers
    Participant

@randrcomputers

Well at least I know whats going on! thank you! I suppose I can create that account and just delete emails once a month. thanks for all the help you have been great

Robin W

@robin-w

No problem.

I think (but don’t know) that many/most mailservers don’t bother actually sending anything to an address that starts noreply.

I don’t see this issue on my forums, so can only think that the emails just get junked somewhere.

If this was a universal issue, this support forum would be inundated !

Anyway I think you have a solution, so yes agree go for that

cassel
    Participant

@cassel

Glad to see there is an explanation. I was about to come and post the same thing since i also noticed some notifications sent to a noreply@mysite.com and since i don’t have such an email, i then get a mail delivery error. I am subscribed to all posts (since the forum is not yet too active) but i surely don’t need a notification AND a mail delivery failure notification!

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar