Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

I can install, just not where I want to!

• piedpiper21

@piedpiper21

Installation Done. But forum doesn’t show up!

I’m facing exactly the same problem as he is. That is, I get a Page Not Found error when I access the link I told it to install to. I would like my forums to be installed at http://roadtoanimation.com/forums/, but bbpress seems to insist I install on /forums/bbpress.

He says that renaming his installation folder (this is the bbpress folder that you upload right?) worked for him. However, I’ve tried different ways of applying that with no results.

1. I tried installing it in /forums and then renamed the directory after installing.

2. I tried installing it in /bbpress and then put in the forum link as roadtoanimation.com/forums/ in Step 3.

Any ideas?

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • To have forums in sub-directory, upload the bbPress folder to your root, rename it and then install. You should be fine this way.

piedpiper21

@piedpiper21

By root, do you mean my public_html folder? If so, I’ve already tried that.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

At your web host, you already installed WordPress. So, if you’re using FTP, download bbPress to your desktop, then unzip it. It will be unzipped into a folder called bbpress. Rename that to forums on your desktop. Now, upload that whole folder to your web host, putting it into the same place where the folders wp-content, wp-includes and wp-admin are right now. If you do a directory listing there, you will have these directories now:

forums
    wp-admin
    wp-content
    wp-includes

Now, go to http://roadtoanimation.com/forums/ and you should see your forum installation. If you’ve already started the installation in another directory, you might need to get rid of some tables in the database.

piedpiper21

@piedpiper21

Okay, let me rephrase. I want to install my forum on roadtoanimation.com/forums/

When I upload the forums to the /forums directory, I can install bbPress. However, during the installation it insists that the link be roadtoanimation.com/forums/bbpress/. If I try to modify the address during installation, I get the Page Not Found error later on.

How can I install it so that my forums appear on roadtoanimation.com/forums/ ?

Edit: Yes Chrishajer, I followed that earlier on. The problem is that the assigned URL becomes roadtoanimation.com/forums/bbscript. How do I remove that /bbscript from it?

piedpiper21

@piedpiper21

Newbie error. There was an extra directory level in the unzipped folder. *slaps forehead*

Thanks for your help!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar