Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

html entities in notification email

• roysmyth
    Participant

@roysmyth

bbPress forums play an important part in an outdoor recreation club site I administer. Members make heavy use of notification emails to be informed of changes in scheduled events.

Html entities in notification emails annoy the members. The members are non-technical. They don’t understand why characters such as & ‘ and – are replaced with strange codes in email.

The fix is trivial, apply html_entity_decode() to the subject and message body before sending. I don’t see any security risk in this. (Someone please let me know if there is a risk; I’m using this fix on the site.)

Can this be added to bbPress?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• tpayton
    Participant

@tpayton

I need this as well. Did you find a solution?

roysmyth
    Participant

@roysmyth

I just wrote a little hack to do it. Seems very low prioirty for the bbpress team.

Actually, what I hacked was the bbPress Custom Topic & Reply Notifications plugin. I was already using it on the site and it is a much more manageable thing to hack.

You can get in touch directly if you want to do the same. wembaster at northshorehikers.org

Makes the users happy.

tpayton
    Participant

@tpayton

I tried to email you. Looks like one of them got kicked back. I assumed you mean “webmaster” and not “wembaster” right?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar