Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to: registration and login

• martinrice
    Participant

@martinrice

I’m building a new website that, for the first time for me, will require registrations and logins for a forum it’s hosting with bbPress. Here is what I see as the process:

1. A person comes to the site and can browse it just like any site.
    2. He/she can go to the various forums and read what’s there.
    3. If he/she wants to either answer a question or create a question (topic) he/she will have to login.
    4. If the person is not registered, he/she will have to do so.
    5. Once registered, every time the user visits again login will be required to participate in the forums.
    6. The user will have to be allowed to change his/her email address.
    7. The user will have to be allowed to unsubscribe.

I’m not sure how to set this up. I’m using WP 4.1.1 using the Divi theme. I’d appreciate any information on how to set this all up or links to information that will explain how to do it.

TIA,
    Martin

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

good set of questions!

bbpress uses WordPress registration for forum users, so they will integrate nicely.

There are widgets within bboress that allow for login and registration

With forums set to public, then anyone can see forums, but only logged in users can ‘participate’

Users can change their email in the profile section

two queries

5. Once registered, every time the user visits again login will be required to participate in the forums.

This will be the case, unless they use the remember me function, but in effect that is the same as it is a logged in person. There are plugins to prevent remember me if you want to disable eg
    https://wordpress.org/plugins/remember-me-controls/

7. The user will have to be allowed to unsubscribe.

They cannot delete themselves, they can just stop using. They can of course send the admin a request to be deleted, and then the admin has the choice of deleting all content for that user, assigning it to someone else, or just blocking that user so that the content remains under their name.

martinrice
    Participant

@martinrice

Thanks so much for the information, Robin, I appreciate it and it answers a lot for me.

The unsubscribe answer you provided makes a lot of sense. We’d certainly want the users’ previous contributions to remain in the forums.

I’ll keep working to set this up with the help you provided. If any other questions arise, I’ll submit another ticket.

Thanks again, Martin

Robin W

@robin-w

great – we’re here to help !

mycon
    Participant

@mycon

I have these exact questions, so thank you Robin!

I have a couple more regarding registration and login. In both instances, how can I control the page the user goes to after successful login?

I am using WordPress 4.2.2 running Jupiter theme and using bbpress login shortcode on a page.
    (currently it stays on same login page with a successful login message)

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

If you install

https://wordpress.org/plugins/bbp-style-pack/

and go to the login tab, you can set a redirect page

mycon
    Participant

@mycon

Thanks for the quick response Robin!

seemingly straight forward set up .. but the login redirection isn’t working.
    still staying on the same page. I’ve (re)checked the full url in the login redirect .. any ideas?

logout redirects to the page I designate. I’m less concerned about that though from a UX perspective.

theme my login?

mycon
    Participant

@mycon

(when i successfully login the url gets: %2F added to the end .. if that helps ..)

Thanks Robin

Robin W

@robin-w

Have you set the login page?

mycon
    Participant

@mycon

Yes.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, have you activated it in the menu?

If so, can you send me via my website

the settings in the style pack login tab
    The full url you mention in (when i successfully login the url gets: %2F added to the end .. if that helps ..)

mycon
    Participant

@mycon

Sure. what’s your website?

Robin W

@robin-w

Duh !! Sorry I was being an idiot – forgot to put the site in !

http://www.rewweb.co.uk and get my email from the contact page

mycon
    Participant

@mycon

Ha! no worries .. sent over. Thanks!

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar