Categories
Search
Bottom

How to mitigate spam registration?

• p3t3rr
    Participant

@p3t3rr

Hi there,

there is quite alot of spam/bot user registration since I setup a bbpress forum on my site. I would like you to provide me with some useful tips on how to mitigate this or ideally stop it completely.

What are best practices dealing with spam in bbrpess/wordpress?

Thank you for your tips.

best regards, peter

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

since bbpress just uses WordPress registration, then there are a wide variety of registration plugins that will let you add things like recaptcha to prevent bot registration – just google WordPress registration plugins and have a look around eg (just an example)

Simple User Registration

If you allow users to register you will always have nuisance users to deal with – comes with then territory :-). I clear about 6 spam posts on here a day.

p3t3rr
    Participant

@p3t3rr

Hi Robin,

thank you for the quick reply. I will have a look at some recaptcha plugin ins.

best regards, peter

PS:Please have a look at my other support request. I think it needs to be manually approved because it has a couple of links in it.

p3t3rr
    Participant

@p3t3rr

I have installed a simple recaptcha plugin which works well on the standard wordpresslogin pages. However, there is no recaptcha form appended to the bbpress login widget which I have in the forum sidebar seen here: ‘hatopia.de/community’. When you login using this form you get an error and get redirected to the standart wp login page in order to solve the receptcha.

Is it possible to modify the form in a way that it’s showing the receptacha form? Or do you have any other recommondation which would mitigate this bad user experience?

best regards, peter

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

It is possible:

Register

I use Advanced noCaptcha & invisible Captcha (v2 & v3). See:

View post on imgur.com

I should also point out that I use “Theme My Login” plugin and use my own actual page, which has this shortcode on it:

[theme-my-login action="register"]

I have found this to be the best solution. The above and the “WP security Questions” when I can ask additional question and check their reply.

Robin W

@robin-w

which exact plugin are you using?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

And remember you have to set recaptcha up and have a site key and secret.

p3t3rr
    Participant

@p3t3rr

@Robin: I just tried the Login No Captcha reCAPTCHA (Google) byRobert Peake

@Chuckie
    :

thx for your suggestion. I will check that plugin as an alternative.

p3t3rr
    Participant

@p3t3rr

update: I installed the plugin recommended by @Chuckie, which I like more because of the flexibility it provides in terms of where to display the captcha.

I solved the bad ux of failed login and redirect to wp-login page by not requiring captcha for logins, just for new user register. I guess most spam is from spam bots registering on a site and not spam bots logging in.

What do you think?

Chuckie
    Participant

@ajtruckle

Hi

I only use the recaptcha on the registration, lost password (etc.) and submit posts forms. I do not use recaptcha on the login form.

p3t3rr
    Participant

@p3t3rr

Thx for your input @chuckie

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar