Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to make the forum open

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

landykos
    Participant

@landykos

Thanks for the reply!

It looks like so far unless I am wrong that there is no real way to get anonymous posting. But they are in the works of making a plugin for it. I am going to see if I can find the plugin.

Thanks again

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I always wonder what use there is for anonymous posts. Is it truly that they are anonymous, so you never know who says what, or is it just to eliminate the login process, but people will still post as someone? Just curious since this has come up a few times and I can’t imagine the need for it. There must be some use I am overlooking.

landykos
    Participant

@landykos

I am making a website for a client that requested to have the forum open. We recommended to him to not do this but he insisted. And what the client wants is what they get. You know what I mean.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

I still wonder why they want it like that. I wonder what their use is for a bunch of messages that are not attributed to anyone.

There are many reasons for having an open forum.

Although there is higher upkeep on an open forum, there are majour benefits for it. For example, if someone was browsing a support forum, and just happened to know the answer to the question off-hand, do you think they will really take the time out of their day to register, confirm their email, then post their answer? No, chances are they are just going to leave the question unanswered and not bother with the trouble.

By locking out people who are too lazy to register their support requests, you’re also locking out people too lazy to register to save you work and answer support requests.

Someone has written a whole essay on the benefits of anonymous (“open”) posting: http://wakaba.c3.cx/shii/shiichan

as a user, i highly prefer open forums. i’m more likely to take part, and if i enjoy the forum i will eventually create an account.

as a moderator, i would never wish an open forum upon anyone.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

> For example, if someone was browsing a support

> forum, and just happened to know the answer to

> the question off-hand, do you think they will really

> take the time out of their day to register, confirm

> their email, then post their answer?

Yes, yes I do. If someone wants to help, they will take 30 seconds out of their day to register. It’s not like you roam the Internet looking for random support forums with unanswered questions and then when you have the answer, you see you can’t just type in the answer without registering, so you run away. I think people tend to have a few places they check in with daily, in their area of interest or expertise, and they register there if they’re going to spend any time there. It’s not a big deal. I mean, really.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar