Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to delete specifc forum filled with spam?

• bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

Hi,

Can someone help me figure out how to delete this forum, threads,and replys? My website used to get alot of spam and now I fixed the issue but the old spam comments are still there. I need to delete but there 30,000 spam threads. Please help!

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Have you tried deleting the forum from the dashboard?

If you delete a forum it will also delete all topics and replies in that forum

bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

Thank you for getting back to me @Stephen Edgar. I have tried deleting from dashboard but when i hit trash, it takes a few minutes and then says something like internal server error. I also tried deleting from tools>delete all but I get same error

Right, I suspect this might be more like 30 seconds?

Typically if PHP cannot complete a task within 30 seconds you receive a “time out” error

If you run the “Count topics in each forum” and “Count replies in each forum” repair tools you should get an accurate count of how many topics and replies remain in the forum you wish to delete. Now try deleting the forum again, once PHP times out, go back, run those same two repair tools again, are the counts different? how many topics and replies did it delete before timing out? If it’s 1,000 topics removed, you’d need to repeat those steps 30 times, get my drift? Keep doing this until the forum and all its topics and replies are deleted.

So the above is a bit hacky, but it should get the job done 😉

bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

I just tried what you recommend and the threads and posts are not going down. Not sure whats wrong and the load time when i hit trash is literally at least three minutes to 5 minutes. THank you for the support

Can you remove a page of topics at a time?

Go to the bbPress topics dashboard: http://example.com/wp-admin/edit.php?post_type=topic

From the dropdown select the forum you want to delete the topics from and click filter, now select the 20 topics from that forum and in the “Bulk Actions” dropdown select “Move to trash” and click apply.

Going back to the repair tools and running those has the forums topic and reply count now been reduced by the number of topics you just deleted?

bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

Yes it deletes the 20 posts from the bulk editor

Did the counts update to reflect the topic count of the forum is now 20 less?

bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

Yes it did, I kept deleting them and I didn’t even need to recount. However, there are 2500 of those posts

2,500 is a lot less than 30,000 posts 😉

If you click “Screen Options” from the topics dashboard you can change the number of topics displayed per page from the default 20 to around 250, you can then select all those 250 topics with one click by checking the checkbox immediately under “Bulk Actions”, then select the drop down “Move To Trash” and “Apply”, this will remove 250 topics at a time?

Do that 10 times and your issue will be resolved?

bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

It worked up until the last post with all 300,000 replies in it wont delete. I get this error when i raise to 999 delete

Request-URI Too Large

The requested URL’s length exceeds the capacity limit for this server.

You can only raise the value of how many topics per page to ~250.

I didn’t know you had a topic with 300,000 replies, can’t you just delete that topic?

bobtheturtle
    Participant

@bobtheturtle

no it doesn’t let me delete I get a internal server error When I try to delete topic. Is there anyway to delete through phpadmin?

Viewing 12 replies - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar