Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to delete spam messages in bulk when server won’t let you

• appleguideweb
    Participant

@appleguideweb

I have had bbPress installed on my website for sometime. However, without me realizing it, thousands of spam comments and messages have been posted on the few forums I have made. I had thought that Akismet was supposed to be cleaning things up, but I guess not. Now, it’s gotten to the point that my WordPress database has ballooned to over 8GB and my hosting provider wants me to fix it or they will take my site down.

That being said I have been trying to find a solution and thus far have come up empty handed. The problem is no matter how hard I try to delete the comments, both from the bbPress plugin on WP-Admin or by deleting the records from myPHPAdmin, the server locks up and the task cancels. I guess the server is not powerful enough for such a task. So, I downloaded a copy of the database to my local machine to try editing it there, and in this case I can’t find an app that can open .sql files and when I do there isn’t enough memory to open it.

Are there any other solutions? Is there a way to shrink the SQL database before opening it? How about splicing it into smaller batches? Is there a specific app, preferably free, that does a better job at managing large SQL databases?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Viewing 5 replies - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar