Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How to create a child theme for bbpress?

• BobHatcher
    Participant

@bobhatcher

I know how to create child themes in WordPress, but given that bbpress uses a special theme within the plugins subdirectory I am confused as to where it goes. Can someone please tell me where to put it?

Does the child theme go in this directory?
    /Clean_Test/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes

Or, here:
    /Clean_Test/wp-content/plugins/bbpress/bbp-themes/bbp-twentyten/bbpress

Or, some other place?

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• BobHatcher
    Participant

@bobhatcher

Here is the contents of my child theme. Is this correct?

Theme Name: Twenty Ten bbpress Child
    Theme URI:

Description: Child theme for the Twenty Ten BBpress theme
    Author: Bob
    Author URI:

Template: bbPress (Twenty Ten)
    Version: 0.1.0
    */

@import
    url(“../bbPress (Twenty Ten)/style.css”);

In the last line, should it read the name of the subdirectory, i.e. bbp-twentyten or the name of the actual theme, bbpress (Twenty Ten) ???

luke@mobiah.com
    Participant

@lukemobiahcom

Bob,

You may want to try this guide:
    https://codex.bbpress.org/legacy/step-by-step-guide-to-creating-a-custom-bbpress-theme/

You will copy file and move them inside your existing theme directory. This will override the default theme that lives inside the plugins directory.

Good luck!

Luke

BobHatcher
    Participant

@bobhatcher

Hi Luke,

Thanks, I’ve seen that, but that seems like overkill. I am simply trying to create a child theme for the bbpress twentyten theme.

With that procedure you referenced, what happens when bbpress does an update? Do you have to copy all those files into your directory again?

Please advise.

Bob

I may be wrong, but I don’t think you can explicitly create a child theme of the bbPress Twenty Ten theme, not in the usual way anyhow, simply because that theme exists inside of the plugin, not inside of wp-content/themes.

I’d suggest that you copy the entire bbPress Twenty Ten theme to wp-content/themes and then tweak it.

BobHatcher
    Participant

@bobhatcher

Thanks, Pippin. I was coming to the same conclusion. But, don’t 99% of the bbpress community use child themes? Shouldn’t it be a bit more straightforward than dumping a bunch of files and hoping for the best? I’ve messed around with getting bbpress to work with about a dozen themes and it’s very hit or miss.

I don’t think ti’s accurate to say that 99% of the bbPress community uses child themes, at least not in the normal sense of the phrase.

I, for example, have copied the bbPress template files over to my active child theme directory for most sites. The site is running a child theme, but it is not explicitly a child theme for bbPress: it is a child theme of my regular theme that I have added full bbPress support to.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar