Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How do I move a topic to another forum

• I know this may be a simple question, but I’m re-doing my forums and I would like to move some topics that are already being posted on to a different forum. Please help. Thanks.

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • err.. (1.)forums with different databases or (2.) just different forums in ONE bbPress Install?

1. export database, import to the new one except of the options- tables and so on

2. Log in to bbPress, go to your Topic you want to move (frontend), go to the bottom of the page to the “move topic to” section and select the forum you want. Click on “move” or something similar – done.

On Alpha there’s a BBXF Export and Import tool, but I don’t think that’s working on the .9 release.

It is in the same database, however, there doesn’t appear to be an option to move a thread. I am using .9. Thanks

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Are you just talking about moving a topic in your bbPress install to a different forum in the same bbPress install? At the bottom of the topic page (in 0.9.0.4) there is a drop down “Move this topic to the selected forum: ” with a list of forums. That is how you would move a topic from one forum to another in the same bbPress installation. If you don’t have that link at the bottom of the topic page, you probably don’t have permission to move it (i.e. you’re not keymaster, admin or moderator.) Members can’t do this on their own. Some one in charge needs to do it.

And … what about to move posts between different topics or separate posts from a topic to a new created topic?. These are basic features in other forums software and there’s nothing similar in bbPress.

I think that bbPress need these type of features in order to be a serious forums software, isn’t it?

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

There’s no feature or plugin that I know of that will allow you to move a post from one topic to another, or split posts off into a new topic.

There was a great plugin called “Move It” that did a lot of what you described:

https://bbpress.org/plugins/topic/move-it/

But it was designed for bbPress 0.8x I believe… ck recommended that 0.9 and 1.0 users not use it.

But if you’re interested in coding something similar, her code might be a good place to start.

Good luck!

Thank you John, I’ll test it ;)

Oh no… please don’t test it unless you are on 0.8.x!!

It’s definitely not recommended for 0.9 or 1.0… I just linked to it so you could check out the code, in the event that you were interested in adapting it to support more recent bbPress versions!

Hello!

A new forum member here…

I totally agree with Fernando, I really think it’s strange that you can’t move a post to a different topic. I have forum users that have created new topics that already are covered in older topics, so I was searching for a way to do this, since I know it’s a common feature in other forum software. I’m still running 1.0 Alpha, so I thougt that I’d only had to update to a newer release and that missing feature would be there.

Anyway, guess there are other reasons to update anyway…

Viewing 10 replies - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar