Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

How do I change font color in closed forum topics

• locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

Posts in my forum that are open are fine but when they are closed they become very hard to read. Whether the post is a sticky or not doesn’t matter. In every case when a post is closed, the text is grey and very hard to read. I would like to change the font color for the topic title, author and body of all closed posts. Is this possible? Thanks. Currently, I’m using a plugin that gives many forum options called bbp style pack. If I disable that plugin it doesn’t help. The text is still grey. I would be willing to use another plugin instead of bbp style pack if that would help.

See examples of closed and open posts in my forum at

FPS

Thanks

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

• locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

I have now disabled bbp style pack.

Robin W

@robin-w

that link shows no topics.

But if you can give me a link with an example, then I can help

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

I gave an example.

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

The above link goes to a page with 2 closed and 1 open topic. You can even see “This forum contains 3 topics”. I logged out as admin and now I can’t see them. So you need to be logged in to see them. I’m new to WordPress so I don’t know why it’s like that.

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

I did more experimenting and you have to be logged in to see the forum topics. You can see the rest of the site without being logged in but you have to be logged in to see the forum topics.

Robin W

@robin-w

I think you have your forums set as private

In dashboard>forums>all forums>edit forum you can change a forum to be public.

If this is not the case come back.

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

dashboard>forums>all forums lists all the forums. I went into several main forums (type ‘category’) and sub-forums. The status for all of them is “open” and visibility is “public”.

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

I installed bbp toolkit which has a checkbox “Do not grey out closed topics”. That’s exactly what I want. The text font color is different now so it’s very readable but it changes the way sub-forums are listed in a main forum. bbP Style Pack makes the list vertical like this:

Main forum 1
    Sub forum 1
    Sub forum 2
    Sub forum 3
    Main forum 2
    Sub forum 1
    Sub forum 2
    Sub forum 3

Enabling the toolkit changes it so it’s like this:

Main forum 1
    sub forum 1 sub forum 2 sub forum 3
    Main forum 2
    sub forum 1 sub forum 2 sub forum 3

So the style pack and toolkit are incompatible. Either I have the forums listed vertically but closed topics are hard to read or I can read closed topics but the forums are listed horizontally. I looked through everything in the toolkit. I don’t see a way to stop it from changing the forum list to horizontal.

Robin W

@robin-w

it’s just that we are both writing amendments to the same code.

if you go to

dashboard>tools>bbp toolkit>information you will see a line saying

Change the separator between the subforums on the forum index page to

change that to newline and you should be good to go

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

That looks good now. Thanks. Do you have any idea why my forums are only visible to people who are logged in even though they’re set to public?

Robin W

@robin-w

no, what other plugins are you running?

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

I just deactivated ALL my plugins except bbpress. bbpress is the only active plugin. I then restarted my browser, loaded the site and entered a forum with 3 topics (the FPS forum that my first post above links to). I logged out from my site as admin. The three topics disappeared. I can still see the forums but I can’t see any topics in any forum.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, not sure if I can help further, something funny with your site.

The final thing I’d suggest is that you change to a default theme

If a public forum, with a default theme and just bbpress running doesn’t show topics, then there is something wrong with your site or database.

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

I changed the theme to twenty seventeen which is a default theme and it made no difference. I told my host about the issue. I told them everything that has been mentioned in this thread. They asked for the link to this thread which I gave them. This is their entire reply:

“We just checked the logs on the server but we did not see any issue from the server side so we suggest you contact the plugin provider and ask them to have a look into this issue as that will certainly help.”

I don’t know what info you would get from looking at logs but that’s all they said. So they give up.

Robin W

@robin-w

can you just confirm that the link at the very start of this thread, which now shows

‘This forum contains 3 topics…’ etc but then says ‘Oh bother! No topics were found here!’ shows 3 topics when logged in as a participant?

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

Well, in the “Forum User Settings” it says
    “Auto Role” [checkbox] “Automatically give registered visitors the [drop-down menu] forum role”

The checkbox is checked and the drop-down is set to “participant”. If I go to Users in the dashboard, the “Site Role” for every member except me is “subscriber”. If I click on a user I see “Role” with a drop-down menu next to it and it’s set to “Subscriber”. “Participant” is not an option. The other options are Contributor, Author, Editor and Administrator. So I’m confused about this because “Forum User Settings” says users should be participants but they’re all subscribers. So is this right? If I go to the site without being logged in as admin, I can register and I will then be a subscriber and I can see the 3 topics in the FPS forum – the link in the first post in this thread.

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

If I click on a user I see “Role” with a drop-down menu, as I said before, but if I scroll down I see “forum role” with another drop-down menu. I went to the Personal Options for a few users and none of these drop-downs are set to anything. They’re all set to “No role for these forums”. Participant is an option in this drop-down.

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, the forum roles are what you are looking at, and these are set on first login, so the users you have set up have not yet logged in.

I am still trying to work out what your exact problem is now – can you state in a paragraph what is still wrong

locutus1
    Participant

@locutus1

That looks good now. Thanks. Do you have any idea why my forums are only visible to people who are logged in even though they’re set to public?

Viewing 19 replies - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar