Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help! “newbie” bbpress login problems

• nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

I admit I am a “newbie” and am having a bundle of problems. I am in the process of building a website which is still offline, and am very stuck. I am using ocean wp and I don’t know how to find out the version, but everything is new in the last 2 weeks.. sorry I really am a newbie…
    I am making “TheAmericanQuarterHorse.com” and wanted to make a small forum page alongside of information pages, I had to do a whole pile of deleting and rebuilding on the forum site, but now I have the basic structure!! So that is a plus, but am stuck on the login–register-lost password widget. The first time I made it, it put the menu all over the place and the login was on every page. Iwas using bbpress tweaks, so uninstalled the bbpress tweaks, and ended up re-installing. I watched a whole pile of youtube on how to do it, and went back at it. I did all the “making the page” and putting the permalinks in the widget slot in the bbpress side bar. This time I had logins on every page BUT THE FORUM PAGE!!! This is the 3rd time I have deleted everything and started over.. I am about to forget the whole thing or use a different forum widget. I am STUCK. Any ideas??
    The other thing is the text is sooo thin and tiny on the forum page it is hard to see. I have heard something about css, but have no clue about what that is or how to use it..
    Would really appreciate any ideas..
    thanks

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

We were all newbies once, so please don’t worry about not being able to explain in technical terms !

The problem of course is that I can’t see your site, so it is like you phoning me up and saying your car is making a funny noise, what’s wrong? 🙂 🙂

I’d suggest we get to something you can publish, and then when you have I can give better help once I can see the site.

So try this :

install

bbp style pack

and activate

Once activated go to

Dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>login and you’ll see setting that will let you add a login and register in the menu rather than a widget.

You will also see that you can style lots of things, so the text size on the forum page is changed by

Dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>Forums Index Styling>5. links

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

Robin W
    Thanks for the reply, I will once again try to pick it up and try again, I have been fighting with this issue for several weeks, and just laid it to the side for a bit.. will try again…
    Oh yes I like your “piggies” coming from a farm background I can appreciate your avatar..
    “spotted Poland-china”???

Robin W

@robin-w

In the UK – they are called ‘Gloucester Old Spots’ but have Chinese in them from many centuries back !

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

Robin–thanks for the encouragement! muchly needed, I have been fighting with this forum section of my webpage, steady, for several weeks-literally..
    I went back at it again today, re- did all my forums, cause I had somehow ( don’t know how it happened) deleted my page that held the forums.( but not the forums themselves) Because it was all scrambled I deleted everything and started over. I got almost everything in place, but now have ran into a new “snag” Don’t know what I am doing wrong…:-(
    I made a new forum PAGE to hold all the forums in , and put the short code [bbp-forum-index] – in the main content section like I did before, only this time when I go to “visit site” the “holding page”won’t put my forums inside the page..
    when I click on the menu bar to go to the forums this comes up–

Index of /forum
    Parent Directory
    cache/
    Apache Server at theamericanquarterhorse.com Port 80

I can manually type in after the URL /forums
    and the forums will come up manually..
    Also, in the main sections that shows all the forums and topics for some reason 2 of them say there is 0 topics in them and that is not the case, I put several topics in the forums, an it shows on the backside there is a topic in there, but not on the topside…
    Appreciate any advice
    thanks!!

Oh yes about the pigs–here in my area the favorite is Landrace X Yorkshire. The local 4-H kids seem to do well with that cross. there is a few Berkshires around the country too..

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

Hello again,
    After a very frustrating few hours talking to several different people, we finally discovered why the forum page would not load the forum properly when clicking on the link in the menu header bar, yet manually typing the URL in, with a—- /forums —on the end of the domain name would load the forum page fine..
    When clicking on the menu in the header / navigation area I would get this–

Index of /forum
    Parent Directory
    cache/
    Apache Server at theamericanquarterhorse.com Port 80

We discovered that
    The hyperlink in the “page” that holds the forum said “forum not “forums”.
    Once the hyperlink was edited, and had a “s” put on the end of the word forum, it worked fine!!!!
    How about that?
    I am still having problems with sections of the forum saying “there is 0 topics” in some of the forums when there is topics inside.. not sure how to fix that problem, or how to re- arrange the forum menu, cause when I created the forum it threw the order all over the place. (One forum said it was created at 1:00 am –well I was asleep at that time so that isn’t true.)
    Anyone know how to edit the menu and re-arrange things properly? or how to fix where it says there is 0 topics when there is topics??
    hope that small fix with the menu helps someone

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

Well I am starting to make some headway ! I have only been fighting with this for several weeks…
    I found out how to order the forum page by going to –all forums- opening each one- hitting edit- and going to the right hand side and changing the number below the attributes in 123 etc order.
    However With the font size I have had some problems even with bbpress styler, it don’t really seem to get much large even when changing the numbers… Any thoughts?
    Also I was going to try to make a login with the bbpress styler, because I have had sooooo many problems with the bbpress login widget.
    however when I went to bbpress styler and that settings, they only have a login and register and no password reset.. and NO profile that I can see
    The comments on the page say that any WP login widget will work..
    So wondered if anyone out there had any good plugins for the login register-password reset.
    Also, Can one put the login -register-password reset on the MAIN forum page only, as the rest of the site I want open to who ever wants to stop by..
    Oh one other thing, Some people join Buddy press with bbpress to get the member section.
    Would that be on a different page than the forum??
    I am full of questions even though I have spent sooo many hours watching youtubes trying to figure things out–My internet data isn’t smiling though–LOL
    thanks for any thoughts

Robin W

@robin-w

however when I went to bbpress styler and that settings, they only have a login and register and no password reset.. and NO profile that I can see

‘register’ changes to profile if you are logged in – as you can have a profile if you are not logged in, and you wouldn’t want to register if you are logged in !!

and from profile you get password reset

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

Thanks..
    any idea why it seems that the text in the styler doesn’t seem to change? I went from 12 to 18 and there is hardly any noticeable change in the size?
    Thanks

Robin W

@robin-w

can be lots of things

go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack> and tab ‘not working?’ and follow the guide in there

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

Question—
    ‘register’ changes to profile if you are logged in – as you can have a profile if you are not logged in, and you wouldn’t want to register if you are logged in !!
    and from profile you get password reset

Am I missing something?? because it sounds like you would have to be logged in to get to your profile..and from the profile you get your password reset..
    I have been away from forums for a while and forgot my password, and couldn’t get in to reset my password, was in a pretty good mess until I managed to mess around and get my password right…

Robin W

@robin-w

not suggesting that this is a substitute for password reset – you need that capability as well.

nitehawk
    Participant

@nitehawk

any good plugins suggestions?

Robin W

@robin-w

no, as I use widgets, so haven’t delved into plugins

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar