Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Help – I think I've installed it but I get error 403 forbiddent

• ellenheaney

@ellenheaney

Help! I’m a complete novice at this and I’m trying to have a bb forum for my new website. I managed to create a subdirectory in filezilla (called forum) and I unzipped and uploaded bbpress into that folder.

When I go to where I think it should be domainname/forum I get an error message telling me that the page can be found but I don’t have permission to view it.

Where have I gone wrong (answers in words of one syllable or less please as I am an un IT savvy mummy)?

Many thanks

Ellen

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

Can you post a link to the forum and website?

ellenheaney

@ellenheaney

Hi (sorry for the delay – putting kids to bed)

Here is my website http://www.schooladmissionappeals.co.uk, and this is where I think the forum should be http://www.schooladmissionappeals.co.uk/forum.

Many thanks for any help you can give.

Ellen

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

Hi there

Have you uploaded every single file into the folder? It seems that you do not have an install file in your bbPress folder.

ellenheaney

@ellenheaney

I think so – I just drag and dropped the whole folder in. I’ll try downloading, unzipping and uploading again to see if that helps.

ellenheaney

@ellenheaney

I still can’t get it. I even renamed the directory BBPress to see if that would somehow help! so it should now be at http://www.schooladmissionappeals.co.uk/BBpress – still no joy.

I checked and in the admin folder there are three install files (install rtl.cc, install css, install php). I am probably making some really obvious mistake but I just can’t get my head around it (it took me half a day to manage wordpress’s 5 minute install so I should have expected some issues!)

Any help is much appreciated.

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

In FileZilla, please can you tell me what it says when you go to “Change File Permissions” for the folder “BBPress”. It may have configured your folders incorrectly.

Furthermore, I must ask you: Are you using a free-hosting service, a paid hosting service, or a local file-server (eg in you house)?

ellenheaney

@ellenheaney

Hi

to summarise the box; it says owner permission to read,write, execute; group permission to read and execute; public permission to read and execute; numeric value 755, recurse into sub directories is not checked.

I’m being hosted by one.com, its a normally a paid for service but I got the first twelve months free.

Many thanks again for your help.

Ellen

Michael
    Participant

@michael888

It seems the permissions are okay – 775 should be fine. I don’t see where the problem is coming from. Ther may be a problem with one.com.

I use 000webhost.com, and my forum works perfectly. I can’t see where the problem lies.

Sorry I can’t help.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar