Bottom

Having trouble syncing WP and bbPress security

• Steve Keller
    Participant

@stevekeller

bbPress version 2.6.6.
    Wordpress version 5.7.1
    website…79Exies.com

Wondering if it is necessary to have login/pw for bbPress forums on a site that already has WP Security login/pw coverage. It seems redundant, and especially so for a site with a maximum of 325 users, though we only have 93 right now.

I can share some email back and forth I have had with a classmate/colleague, which can better explain the shortcomings and non-syncing we faced.

Thanks,
    Steve

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• Steve Keller
    Participant

@stevekeller

Here are some facts and ideas my friend brought up, as we were trying to figure a way to make the site and forums security effective, non-redundant and non-annoying…

Well, you indeed have proved that the root cause of the insecurity = bbPress!
    That is the good news.

The bad news is by changing that Forum Root Slug setting, the NEW 79ers-Forum page I set up is now exposed publicly.
    Try opening an incognito Chrome browser, do not log in, and go directly to my new page: http://79exies.com/79ers-forum

No password needed.. bbPress lets you right in. 🙁

So we can now be positive that my theory from yesterday is correct: bbPress is bypassing the security system and managing the Forum page itself.

My suggestions are to contact their support and ask how to get bbPress to “play nicely” with our password protection system (plug-in = WP-Members) or go find a different plug-in to manage the Forum.

My guess is bbPress DOES have its own security system with a user registration system (which we are not invoking). So alternatively you could use that. The downside is unless you can get them to “sync” somehow to our WP-Members plug-in, then all our users will have to register in TWO places to use the Forum: once for the website and then again for the Forum. Pretty cumbersome. Anyway, I suggest you start with the bbPRess Forum, explain what is happening, and see if they have any ideas.

===================

Hi Steve –
    I looked, and indeed the original URL to 79exies/forums is still alive.
    But I do see it is gone from within the WP site, so you successfully removed it there. Very strange.

I have to assume bbPress is doing something in the background. I won’t have time to work on this right now, but I suggest going to the bbPress support page (they have their own Forum) and maybe find answers there.
    Or consider a different plug-in to manage the Forums interface if there is one.

I do notice that my WP interface does NOT show the bbPress “Settings” or “Forums” tabs that their documentation says should be there. Maybe there is a “Forum Administrator” role (you presumably) that makes them visible? But I cannot see them. If those are also missing for you, then there’s some pretty fundamental compatibility issues with this plug-in and WP.

Thanks,
    Steve

Robin W

@robin-w

bbpress just uses wordpress login, there is no ‘double security’ sorry, no idea what the above is trying to say, or what exactly the problem is.

Perhaps you could start by stating what you are trying to achieve?

Robin W

@robin-w

At a guess you might want to start by looking at

Step by step guide to setting up a bbPress forum – Part 1

and particularly items 3 & 5

Steve Keller
    Participant

@stevekeller

Hey Robin,

I tried to standardize the 79ers Forum page, per the Codex doc you referred me to, and it seems it helped. I followed all the settings instructions, and since the only people we want accessing the Forum page are registered users, I made each forum private. A couple of questions arose at that point. If I don’t hide the title of the page, why does the “Private:” appear twice before the page title? And second, how should the Forum Restriction be set, or where would I find info on what the settings, blocked, unblocked and hidden, actually do?

Thanks,
    Steve

Robin W

@robin-w

‘Private’ is a wordpress/bbpress conflict – and it is annoying !!

either

Put this in your child theme’s function file –

ie wp-content/themes/%your-theme-name%/functions.php

where %your-theme-name% is the name of your theme

or use

Code Snippets

add_filter('private_title_format', 'ntwb_remove_private_title');
    function ntwb_remove_private_title($title) {
    	return '%s';
    }

or use

bbp style pack

once activated go to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack>Forum Display

Steve Keller
    Participant

@stevekeller

Thanks! I went with the bb style pack, and that worked for removing the “Private: Private:” before the Forum/Topic titles.

Still waiting to see if people using the Forums are having any issues using them. I would like to change the font color against the maroon top bars, from black to yellow, or grey, but I am not finding the right tab to do so. Why are there tabs for setting up logins/logim failures, if logging in is accomplished at the WordPress level?

Thanks,
    Steve

Robin W

@robin-w

Still waiting to see if people using the Forums are having any issues using them.

not sure what this means 🙂

I would like to change the font color against the maroon top bars, from black to yellow, or grey, but I am not finding the right tab to do so.

probably theme related, but link to an example on your site please.

Why are there tabs for setting up logins/logim failures, if logging in is accomplished at the WordPress level?

bbpress has some widgets and shortcodes that let users enter username and password. these details are passed to wordpress security to go through login.

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar