Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Has anyone tried caching bbPress using redis?

• Erlend
    Participant

@sadr

After reading about some very encouraging results with WordPress and redis (eamann.com, jeedo.net), along with seeing redis included in the core of modern forum suites like NodeBB and Discourse, I can’t help but wonder if redis might be the ideal caching solution for bbPress as well.

If anyone has some first-hand experiences to share, I’m all ears.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • I just had a quick read of those links you mentioned and I like what I read.

I wondered if there was a setup of this using Vagrant as I have been playing with this recently.

I had a read of this and then cloned this GitHub repo to my local machine.

Copied the Vagrantfile.redis file to Vagrantfile. and made a couple of network chances to the Vagrantfile to suit my local setup.

Ran Vagrant Up from the console and made a coffee.

Configured WordPress’ 5 minute install and everything was up and running in under 10 minutes 🙂

Sadly I’ve hit a brick wall trying to install bbPress (or any plugin for that matter) that I will most definitely look further into tomorrow.

Ryan Hellyer
    Participant

@ryanhellyer

I only looked at the first link that you posted, and it seems to be using Reddis for caching static pages. That should work just as well for bbPress as it does for bbPress.

I assume that a good object caching setup would be more important to concentrate on for bbPress since many people will be logged in users and hence not see the statically cached pages anyway.

For what it’s worth, I use APC to handle both static page caching and object caching with bbPress. I haven’t experienced any problems with it. The sheer number of pages being cached did mean that I needed to adjust my cache refresh time however. When I added a new bbPress site to my server, it maxed out my APC RAM very quickly. Forums tend to have a lot more cacheable pages than a typical WordPress site and so keeping an eye on your RAM usage is quite important.

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar