Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Hard to warm me up for bbpress

• Hi! I am truly a fan of WordPress (I use it on several websites), but I am a little bit disappointed of bbpress. I know, that it is a beta, but there are plugins for wordpress available, making integration into wordpress much better. Easier integration concerning templates, user-management, navigation etc. In spite of being a beta, the code still is “grubby” – having templates in “my-templates” does not mean that all functions will work with them. Eg. “bb-login.php” still include “login.php” from “bb-templates”. So, it means wasting time by seacrhing and fixing these things… And truly: who did directly understand “how-to-integrate-bbpress-into-wp” ? Or otherway round?

And why do I always have “Ok. The document has moved here”? After login, logout – using IE. Using Firefox, nothing happens – no redirect, no link. I am enervated. Sorry. I have expected a bit more. Perhaps my fault…

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Hi Zimpet, “alpha”, “beta”, “0.72”; it really doesn’t matter what the label says; any code is only as good as the number of man hours that have been spent writing it, and then refining it.

The ratio of hours spent on WP versus BB is currently* around 100,000:1, so a certain lack of polish is likely.

* educated guess :)

bbPress has reached the point of maturity where it can have more people developing it, using it, and commenting on it; so this is the point where it’s development can accelerate whilst it’s core capabilities mature into something stable, so if you think you’ve identified problems, then thats a good thing, so be happy.

The best thing that you (and any of us) can do is to isolate and describe each problem (and each suggestion) so it can be entered into trac, prioritized and fixed.

Hi ear1grey, jepp, you are right… Maybe I am too spoilt by all the coders work on wordpress. In fact, bbpress is a good point to start with, and the idea of having a forum and a blog coming right from “one-stop” is the right decision. So, don’t get me wrong! It is really a wish of mine to have it all “together” and tools get merged this way.

The only thing I want to highlight is, that – I’m not a coder from nature, but a tinckerer – it is not as easy as it sounds to set up the forum and integrate it into a running blog; first of all, if you are using wordpress for more than only as a “blogging-machine”. So, I will report

all bugs I find and – if it is possible for me, give advice how to fix it. In case I have the courage… as mentioned, I’m a tinckerer, not a coder.

… I remember when WP was at this point. No easy plug-in function, no template function.. I was still ecstatic..

And I also remember trying to use BBPress a year or so ago.. Heh. Come along way baby.

In short. Just give it time.

peiqinglong

@peiqinglong

It was a bit fustrating in the beginning, but I’m finding it kind of fun. It’s a good back-to-basic-code refresher for me. Here is a little modding I’ve been doing: http://dev.abunchofcars.com/forum/ and I like its pretty easy to integrate into WP since its practically built off the same engine.

Viewing 4 replies - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar