Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Had to comment out ‘return false’ to get install to work

• I’m sure this ISNT the proper solution, heh, but since it worked I thought I’d point it out.

After Step 1 failed many times, I set out to debug it. My travel took me here:

bb-includes/db-mysql.php

$this->$dbhname = @mysql_connect( $server->host, $server->user, $server->pass, true );

if (!$this->$dbhname)

return false;

That was failing and returning false everytime. I couldn’t figure it out. I printed out the hose and user and password, and it looked good. I could connect just fine from a shell prompt.

After confirming that it actually WAS connecting, and that it was simply the lack of $this->$dbhname that was causing the failure, I just commented out the return false; and VOILA! It worked! Installation finished and I can post messages, etc, etc, everything seems fine.

Soooo… What’s up with that?! hehe. $dbhname was == ‘dbh_local’.

Not sure what other details I can provide. Just thought I’d share the rather strange experience and oddness that I’d have to hack the db_connect code to get the install to complete… Weird!!

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Were you getting an error message when it didn’t work? It would be useful to know it if you did.

chrishajer
    Participant

@chrishajer

What host are you using?

This is the code that was making the call and getting the return false returned to it, thus resulting in this error:

if (!$bbdb->db_connect(‘SHOW TABLES;’)) {

$this->step_status[1] = ‘incomplete’;

$this->strings[1][] = __(‘There was a problem connecting to the database you specified.
    Please check the settings, then try again.’);

return ‘error’;

}

db_connect was returning false when it detected $this->$dbhname was undef. So by removing the return false when that happened, the db_connect call then succeeded and all was happy :).

To answer the other person, I’m hosting on localhost. I have an old PowerPC Mac running OS X 10.4.11 or something. It’s a spare computer; thought I’d stick a forum on it and learn some php.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar