Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Guest Posting Question

• Editor Mike
    Participant

@editor-mike

I am after the ability to let guests post in my forum.
    So I turned on Guest posting.

However there is a problem with that.
    In order to post as a guest you need to enter an e-mail.
    If a guest enters an e-mail of a registered user it pulls across their avatar and makes it look like the registered user is posting.

Test/Sample here>> http://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/testy-guest-topic/#post-50125

I have since turned off the guest posting function as this avatar issue is a problem.

Is there a way to disable the guest field that requires an e-mail address and just let guests post by adding a name?

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

• Editor Mike
    Participant

@editor-mike

I am aware of the topic from 3 years ago, but am hoping this has since been addressed.

Joshua4550
    Participant

@joshua4550

Mike,

I have just stumbled upon the thread from 3 years ago and it led me to finding yours here. Is this really not resolved?

I recently got bbPress up and running and I also needed this. I went ahead and found the solution… here goes…

It’s in the template. Seriously. Let’s take the previous answer (sorry for no reference) that souneone suggested to “tell the users to use anon@example.com”, and we’ll make it even easier for the user.

Make sure to copy the default bbpress template “form-anonymous.php” to /wp-content/themes/your-theme/bbpress/

Open up form-anonymous.php from your theme and find the following code section:

<p>
    			<label for="bbp_anonymous_email"><?php _e( 'Mail (will not be published) (required):', 'bbpress' ); ?></label><br />
    			<input type="text" id="bbp_anonymous_email"   value="<?php bbp_author_email(); ?>" tabindex="<?php bbp_tab_index(); ?>" size="40" name="bbp_anonymous_email" />
    		</p>

Delete that. In fact, replace it with the following:

<input type="hidden" id="bbp_anonymous_email" value="anon@yourdomain.com" tabindex="-1234" name="bbp_anonymous_email" />

Save it out, close it out. You’re done!

Now you don’t require names.. it forces the “anon@yourdomain.com” as the value.
    Developers can still change it 😉

remember to change yourdomain.com to your actual domain in the values I gave above.

if you have further questions or anything reach out on skype joshuasadler4550

Viewing 2 replies - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar