Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

global $variables in header not passed to body

• I’m seeing some interesting behavior. Though I am a php rookie it seems like what I am trying to do should work.

I include some code in the header that parses cookies and sets variables appropriately. I use the exact same code and approach in WordPress and it works perfectly.

This is at the top of my bbpress header.php:

<?php
    global $research_subscriber; // '1' if user is research subscriber
    global $forums_subscriber; // '1' if user is forums subscriber
    if (condition) $nyquist_research_subscriber=1;
    if (condition) $nyquist_forums_subscriber=1;
    ?>

Just to make sure, I echo’ed out the variables afterward within header.php and they are all being set as expected.

Later on, in files that include header.php (topic.php or front-page.php) by invoking bb_get_header(), I attempt to access these global variables and they are all null.

Why are these variables not being passed? Why does this work in WordPress but not BBpress? What am I missing (bangs head against wall)?

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Note I mistyped above – the variables in the if statement match the global declaration. I just neglected to edit out the ‘nyquist’ from the if statement in the name of a little privacy.

After much hacking about I figured out the problem.

This post offered a clue:

https://bbpress.org/forums/topic/getting-bbpress-and-wordpress-to-talk-to-each-other?replies=6#post-6068

It turns out that any global variables declared or set in header.php must also be set in the calling page. I added the following to the top of front_page.php and now the variables are properly set after calling bb_head().

<?php global $research_subscriber; // ‘1’ if user is research subscriber

global $forums_subscriber; // ‘1’ if user is forums subscriber

?>

The global variables don’t need to be set in the calling page in wordpress (single.php, search.php). I have no idea why bbpress handles this differently – must be in the way the header is called.

Much frustration. I hope someone finds this post useful.

gimperdaniel

@gimperdaniel

thanks.. this helped a lot.had the same problem.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar