Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

General Questions

• Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

Hello,

I haven’t yet installed bbpress. I currently have SMF and am considering switching because I want to fully integrate my forum with my WordPress blog and I don’t think SMF will ever do that.

I have a few questions before I make the leap, that is, I want to make sure I can do the things I want to before I change everything.

I want to make it so that all forum topics and their subsequent posts can be easily transferred to the front page, i.e. blog. Is this possible? What about vice versa? Can blog posts be discussed in the forum section?

I want all profiles to be automatically usable for both forum and blog. Is this possible?

Is there an Advertisement mod for bbpress?

A lot of articles that are about two years old say simplepress is better than bbpress. Has bbpress really taken off in the last two years? Does it have potential to grow and get more refined?

Thanks!

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The bbPress plugin will fully integrate into any existing WordPress 3.1+ installation. Since it’s using WordPress to power the database interaction, it is immediately integrated and available in any way you need it to be, depending on your level of skill, etc…

Technically WordPress doesn’t really have conventional ‘profiles’ but they do use the exact same user account for everything. In the future bbPress profiles will be merged with BuddyPress profiles, providing a seamless experience.

You’re on your own with advertisements. :)

Other things of note:

* The stand alone version of bbPress has been in a feature freeze for a majority of the past two years.

* The community surrounding bbPress isn’t as large as WordPress.

* The transition between versions (0.9, 1.0, and now the plugin) have caused some unrest for people passionate about the project.

So, that’s the cliff-notes of the story. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

The bbPress plugin will fully integrate into any existing WordPress 3.1+ installation. Since it’s using WordPress to power the database interaction, it is immediately integrated and available in any way you need it to be, depending on your level of skill, etc…

Technically WordPress doesn’t really have conventional ‘profiles’ but they do use the exact same user account for everything. In the future bbPress profiles will be merged with BuddyPress profiles, providing a seamless experience.

You’re on your own with advertisements. :)

Other things of note:

* The stand alone version of bbPress has been in a feature freeze for a majority of the past two years.

* The community surrounding bbPress isn’t as large as WordPress.

* The transition between versions (0.9, 1.0, and now the plugin) have caused some unrest for people passionate about the project.

So, that’s the cliff-notes of the story. :)

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

Thanks! Can you point me to any websites that are good examples of the integration between bbpress and wordpress?

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

Thanks! Can you point me to any websites that are good examples of the integration between bbpress and wordpress?

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Right now probably the best example of the plugin in action is over at http://testbp.org/discussion. It’s using some of the shortcodes and minimal CSS tweaks to mimic the look of the forums here at bbpress.org.

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Right now probably the best example of the plugin in action is over at http://testbp.org/discussion. It’s using some of the shortcodes and minimal CSS tweaks to mimic the look of the forums here at bbpress.org.

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

I’m getting confused by the buddypress and bbpress thing. Are they like apples and oranges? Or granny smith and golden delicious? Should I just wait until 1.1 comes out? When will that be?

Is there any way to migrate my SMF database to bbpress?

Is there a way to test install bbpress and then switch to it if I like it? I’m kind of a noob, so a link to anything that explains how to do that would be great. Thanks for the help, John!

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

I’m getting confused by the buddypress and bbpress thing. Are they like apples and oranges? Or granny smith and golden delicious? Should I just wait until 1.1 comes out? When will that be?

Is there any way to migrate my SMF database to bbpress?

Is there a way to test install bbpress and then switch to it if I like it? I’m kind of a noob, so a link to anything that explains how to do that would be great. Thanks for the help, John!

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Kind of a long story, but more cliffnotes…

BuddyPress is a social networking plugin for WordPress, that actually comes bundled with bbPress inside of it to create group discussion forums.

bbPress has always been a stand-alone platform (like WordPress) but is being turned into a plugin for WordPress to make integration as seamless as possible. So right now, there are two distinctly separate versions of bbPress, stand-alone and plugin.

As far as I know there isn’t a migration script between SMF and bbPress, but I could be wrong. There most likely is not one for the bbPress plugin since it hasn’t been publicly released yet.

Documentation, is limited. :) There is almost none on the plugin so far, but there will be once it’s released and in the wild. We’ll put some documentation up here at bbpress.org to help answer all of these kinds of questions easier. :)

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Kind of a long story, but more cliffnotes…

BuddyPress is a social networking plugin for WordPress, that actually comes bundled with bbPress inside of it to create group discussion forums.

bbPress has always been a stand-alone platform (like WordPress) but is being turned into a plugin for WordPress to make integration as seamless as possible. So right now, there are two distinctly separate versions of bbPress, stand-alone and plugin.

As far as I know there isn’t a migration script between SMF and bbPress, but I could be wrong. There most likely is not one for the bbPress plugin since it hasn’t been publicly released yet.

Documentation, is limited. :) There is almost none on the plugin so far, but there will be once it’s released and in the wild. We’ll put some documentation up here at bbpress.org to help answer all of these kinds of questions easier. :)

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

That makes much more sense now! Thank you!

I think it might be better for me just to wait for the plugin version of bbpress. Can you give me a guestimate when it will come out? It would be much appreciated!

Daily Anarchist

@daily-anarchist

That makes much more sense now! Thank you!

I think it might be better for me just to wait for the plugin version of bbpress. Can you give me a guestimate when it will come out? It would be much appreciated!

Interjero Dizainas

@interjero-dizainas

Hey, is it possible to allow FB, Twitter users to comment without registration?

Interjero Dizainas

@interjero-dizainas

Hey, is it possible to allow FB, Twitter users to comment without registration?

Hello. I confess I am struggling with this. I think it might be very very helpful to (albeit minority of noob types like myself) to visually SEE what a simple and successful wordpress + bbpress plugin project looks like — untweaked and “for the rest of us” …

I just installed bbPress plugin and started using it but can’t get it to lool ANYTHING like what you have shown above..

I have struggled setting up SImplePress–but it was SLOW

Then phpPress — it was a monster headache

now I am SOLD on bbpress but am stuck setting it up to look great!

I am willing to PAY someone to help me “pimp” it, but actually only need it to look moderately cool.

Here is my site just in case anyone is interested

http://www.surviveinfidelityhq.com

Thanks…Tom and Sarah

Hello. I confess I am struggling with this. I think it might be very very helpful to (albeit minority of noob types like myself) to visually SEE what a simple and successful wordpress + bbpress plugin project looks like — untweaked and “for the rest of us” …

I just installed bbPress plugin and started using it but can’t get it to lool ANYTHING like what you have shown above..

I have struggled setting up SImplePress–but it was SLOW

Then phpPress — it was a monster headache

now I am SOLD on bbpress but am stuck setting it up to look great!

I am willing to PAY someone to help me “pimp” it, but actually only need it to look moderately cool.

Here is my site just in case anyone is interested

http://www.surviveinfidelityhq.com

Thanks…Tom and Sarah

Thanks to the Key Master your very involved and the answers are very informative

Thanks to the Key Master your very involved and the answers are very informative

Viewing 18 replies - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar