Categories
Search
Bottom

FSE templates and bbPress

• rinh
    Participant

@rinh

Hi
    I’m looking into the possibility to move a community site from using Elementor Pro to WordPress own Full Site Editing and block theme.

I’m curious if anyone has figured out how to apply templates to the forums and topics themselves. The forum root works fine though because it has a shortcode.

In Elementor I worked it out by making a single post template and then exclude posts and custom post types from it, but in FSE it doesn’t seem possible to apply any templates to bbPress at all.

Thank you in advance

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

my style pack has some code that fixes (sort of) FSE themes

install

bbp style pack

once activated, navigate to

dashboard>settings>bbp style pack, and you should see the first tab called β€˜Theme Support’ – if you don’t see this, come back.

In that tab, select

Enable Theme Support

and save

The forums should then display

If you want to look at code, then download the plugin to your computer and find

\bbp-style-pack\trunk\includes\functions_theme_support.php

I’m trying to avoid getting too deeply into FSE – I find it annoying, but appreciate that I am old and ludite, and that many find it fine or even great πŸ™‚

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

Oh yes, I use the plugin to be able to display the forum in block themes. Thank you for the plugin by the way and all the work you do on them and this forum πŸ™‚

This is more about I’d like to put the forum in templates to be able to put additional content, for example I put a welcome message/info as well as a custom made sidebar in the Elementor template.

I suppose there’s no shortcodes for displaying forums (other than root) as well as one for all topics? πŸ˜›

I can totally understand avoiding getting too deep into FSE. I really appreciate it too, it’s like a mini theme builder. The learning curve do feels steep though.

Robin W

@robin-w

presume you are familiar with all these

Shortcodes

Robin W

@robin-w

if you have one that is close, and can tell me if it could do xx, then quite happy to take a look at how easy to clone

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

Thank you a lot πŸ™‚
    I’ll try them out again in pages, templates and stuff in FSE (still pretty confused) and see if I can narrow it down. I’ll get back to you later.

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

Unfortunately I don’t think any of them is close or can just be cloned.

[bbp-forum-index] – This one works well and can add the forum root anywhere.

But then there’s Forums or Categories, Sub forums and topics/replies themselves. These pages seem to all be seen as ‘posts’ by WordPress, why making a posts template worked in Elementor for all of them. FSE templates seem to ignore bbPress entirely though.

[bbp-single-forum id=$forum_id] – This one do make it possible to add single forums anywhere, but not if they’re inside a forum Category. Would also need one page for each forum which would get a little crazy. I don’t know if this one could be tweaked into something more advanced.

What would be needed is shortcodes for displaying forum Category pages in general, as well as their sub forum pages where the topics are listed. And then all the topic/replies pages too.

All that sound too difficult to be honest.

Robin W

@robin-w

it would be good to get bbpress working with FSE.

I am guessing that we would need either a template part that is the forums, or a forum ‘block’ .

If you are deep enough into FSE to articulate how it might work, I could do some digging.

But yes, I have probably had to grapple with a dozen ‘editors’ that various clients have been using, most of which are far superior to FSE, so whilst I do use it on some simple non bbpress sites, I haven;t really tried to get it to do anything clever, or used an FSE theme.

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

I appreaciate it though πŸ™‚

I realised I have a another problem. Is there any way to get the Recent Topics and Recent Replies widget to work in block editor, or get them to appear some other way for example shortcode? I didn’t realise until now that widgets don’t work in block editor.

Thank you in advance.

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

It would be good indeed, FSE looks like the future of WordPress.

I just started so I don’t know much, and I think I’ll be in forever learning πŸ˜‰ I think a template part that is the forum would work best though, but I could be completely wrong on that. I can type down what I’ve got so far though.

From what I’ve gathered so far (I could be wrong on some things here). There are several kinds of templates, for example Archive and Single. Single displays the layout for single posts and that seem to be what all pages except forum root are.

Simply put the templates work in that way you build a layout using the block editor where you can put in single post parts like post title, post content and so on. In Elementor I made a Single with just post content and magically the post content would display the forum on the front-end.

bbPress forum root appear to be an archive, but since it has a shortcode forum root wouldn’t need anything more I think.

The FSE recognise custom post types and you can make Single templates for those. I’m not sure if bbPress is a custom post type, but if it is and FSE would recognise it that would’ve solved it all.

Hope that makes any sense.

Robin W

@robin-w

if you want gutenberg in your actual topics and replies, this plugin does it

Blocks Everywhere

it requires you to add stuff to wp-config.

though frankly, you are then expecting everyone in the world to use the stupid + sign. Why gutenberg in not just ‘ms word’ is beyond me.

But anyway just threw that in as it came up as a result whilst trying to google to see if anyone has already done what we are trying to do

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

That’s an interesting plugin. But agree gutenberg gets a little convoluted when only used as a text editor.

What I had in mind was being able to add some of the bbPress widgets to the page having the forum root shortcode. These widgets doesn’t seem to appear in gutenberg.

bbPress widgets

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, I’m playing around with some stuff, give me a while

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

Thanks for looking into it, no rush πŸ™‚ And sorry for being so demanding by the way

Robin W

@robin-w

still playing with this – am now chatting to one of the FSE advocates within wordpress – so hoping that we will make progress

rinh
    Participant

@rinh

You’re awesome!

Viewing 15 replies - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar