Categories
Search
Bottom

Frustrated with Login/Register – Help?

• AuthorAdam
    Participant

@authoradam

Hello!

I’ve searched the forums for a topic that has the same issues as I’m having, to no avail. I have created a website using wordpress.org (http://meechanchronicles.com/Install), and installed bbPress version 2.53. I’ve been able to create the forum, and using wordpress, I’ve created a couple of forums and one topic.

I followed the bbPress codex for adding Login/Register pages, as well as a Lost Password page. Whenever I try and access the forum from the outside (ie not logged into WordPress), I seem to be stick in a circular link that never actually does anything.

In addition, neither the Register/Lost Password pages work, returning a 404 error. I’ve double checked the shortcode links as well as made sure that the permalink addresses are spelled correctly and match the shortcodes.

I am totally new to creating forums, but I feel that I’m missing something simple. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Adam

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Maybe this is already obvious, but if you’re already logged in, those pages aren’t going to work for you; bbPress will either show a message, or redirect away from them, depending on what you’re setup is.

The login page here is a (much more complicated) version of what is already in bbPress core, using a WordPress Page and the shortcode. (It’s only complex because of shared logins and integration with WordPress.org, Trac, BuddyPress.org, etc…) Meaning, it can’t be broken for you, because if you’re only using bbPress’s method and shortcodes, it’s exactly what’s also working here.

We’ve considered a few different ways of auto-creating the login/register/lost-password pages (and maybe there are some improvements we can make in this regard) however we haven’t settled on a solution we feel works for the 80% of users that want the out-of-the-box experience, that also doesn’t conflict with existing WordPress registration plugins.

If you could describe what you think the ultimate experience would be, we’re all ears. 🙂

AuthorAdam
    Participant

@authoradam

Hi John,

I think I understand what you’re saying – that because I am logged in, I can’t log in again to the forum. I tried an experiment – I opened Safari (I usually use Chrome), typed in my website and navigated to the forum. When I went to reply, I got the message “you must be logged in to reply to this topic”. So I tried to log in. And…nothing.

Site is: http://meechanchronicles/Install and the forum is called The Resistance!
    Topic I’m interested in replying to is: What is a Boom Stick?

Your help is appreciated. I really like what you’ve got going on – and I don’t think any changes is needed. Perhaps I’m starting to realizze how old I actually am 🙂 Wonder if you could try posting a reply. I am really stuck on this one…

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

No sweat, and happy to help. Looks like the link to your forums is bad. Can you verify the URL and link us again?

AuthorAdam
    Participant

@authoradam

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

Sure did; thanks. I ways able to create an account easily enough, but it looks like logins are completely broken on your site; they do not even work through WordPress’s traditional wp-login.php directly (which is what bbPress sends login data to.)

Something else is wrong, outside of bbPress, though it’s difficult to troubleshoot on this end. It might be the case-sensitive URL (with “Install” in there) or it could be any other server config, plugin, theme, or random cookie issue.

Sorry I can’t be much more help, but hopefully this helps you sniff it out.

AuthorAdam
    Participant

@authoradam

Thanks so much! I’ll investigate the WordPress end now. You’ve been a great help. Thanks again!

Adam

John James Jacoby
    Keymaster

@johnjamesjacoby

If you can report back any progress, we’ll be around to help.

Best of luck!

jmessick
    Participant

@jmessick

It may be a problem with your settings. Under general make sure that you didn’t leave the “.com” off of either the WordPress address or the site address. I got an error which I clicked on Register, it tried to send me to http://www.meechanchronicles/Install/Register which was invalid. When I changed it to http://www.meechanchronicles.com/Install/Register it directed me to the registration page properly.

Viewing 8 replies - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar