Categories
Search
Bottom

Freshness broken (Multisite issue)

• Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Hi,

during my little adventure this evening regarding bbpress and double clicking on links, which was a dead end afterall, I deactivated bbpress on subsite and activated on network dashboard. Then, bbpress was broken except for the main page (http://de.movemeta.org/foren/). Okay, so I deactivated on network admin and activated on subsite again. Forums worked, but Freshness is not working fine any more. There had been posts after those listed. And then, I posted another one, just to make sure, and after some minutes it, too, vanished from the Freshness display, to make room for an older one.

Okay, maybe I was stupid here, but please help… :/

I already tried various repair functions that seemed to fit the case, but to no avail.

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

• Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Oh, okay, now it gets even worse: I ran this repair option: “Recalculate last activity in each topic and forum” – and afterwards, the last correct entry under “Freshness” in the forums main page finally became an older one, too. Seems like now they are all the original thread starting entries. The exact opposite of what this repair option should have done. I ran this option multiple times tonight. No wonder the Freshness got more and more broken.

So, maybe not a multisite issue after all.

Hi,
    I had a similar issue already when running e.g. “Recalculate last activity in each topic and forum” and if post IDs and post dates are not really aligned. It’s a known issue that should be fixed in the upcoming v2.6.
    After the next reply, everything should be then correctly refreshed.

Are you seeing the same behaviour ?

Pascal.

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Hi,
    I opened a new topic, and for this forum (okay, it’s the only topic in it), the Freshness is correct. But the rest of them, Freshness is not calculated correctly. That was the same yesterday, when I replied in another forum – it did not have an effect on the rest of my forums’ Freshness as shown on the main page.
    Manuel

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Update: It’s been 8 hours, and we had some new replies since. However, after some hours, they disappeared from Freshness view again on the main forums page, again showing the threadstarting posts. Meanwhile, the remnant of my thread in the lowermost forum has disappeared.

So somehow, there must have been a recalculation, and it had one good and several bad outcomes for my Freshness accuracy.

Hi,
    If you did not rerun the script to recalculate, then for every forum where a topic arrives (or probably also a reply to a topic), the freshness should become correct.
    If it disappear, and you did not rerun the repair tool, it might be another plugin or your theme that is doing things in the background.
    Any possibility to remove plugins that could have an influence on bbPress and switch to a standard theme ?

Pascal.

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Uhh, that is a tricky one. We have so much parts that work together, not least the firewall and security plugins. I cannot run the website and test bbpress behaviour for hours or days without any of them. Also, I can’t imagine how any of them could interfere with bbpress. It usually isn’t about plugin conflicts, if such tiny details get wrong. Come to think of it, it never really is about plugin conflicts in my experience, whenever something is wrong on the website.

Do you see any other way to test this?

I can bring you hundreds of examples where plugins conflict…
    From what you write, I understand you don’t have a test site ? That would be the way to go …

Pascal.

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Not currently we have one, no. And still, I doubt that I could replicate the conditions, with users and replies and cross-testing all this with our 40 plugins, one by one for days each.

Well, I’ll watch the Freshness closely and come back to this thread if it does not resolve itself. Thank you for being there for me!

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

I have a suspicion. It could be that if I edit the forum description, possibly also the title, the Freshness gets reset to first post in the newest topic for this particular forum. Will keep watching.

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

@Johnnieasear: To me, MS is the future of WP. Why have one site, if I can have at least one more for testing purposes? That was what I thought about before setting up my network. Of course, that means mostly styling tests, since plugins are integrated with the network and some plugins can only be (de-)activated on network level, so testing is limited. But still.

Do you refer to this Guide? “Extensive” would too far-fetched a word for that, in my opinion. It’s more of a brief overview. Useful, of course. 🙂

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

So, after further testing, I can indeed confirm what I found yesterday. It is a bug, from my point of view, since changing forum descriptions can hardly be counted as activity in the forum itself. That means mixing up meta and operative level. (And I don’t think it is a MS issue at all, could anyone test that in a single install?) Could be something for 2.6, then.

Hi,
    If you can summarize your findings as you have them here and create a trac ticket (also put the link to thread), it can for sure help the people that are busy with 2.6 !
    Pascal.

Manuel Fritsch
    Participant

@let-me-see

Hi,
    thanks, I did just that! https://bbpress.trac.wordpress.org/ticket/2909#ticket
    ~Manuel

Viewing 13 replies - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar