Skip to:
Content
Pages
Categories
Search
Bottom

Forums, Topics, Replies – Migration Help!

• mshane8
    Participant

@mshane8

Hello-

I am redesigning a site and want to migrate my current forums, topics and replies from my current site into my new site.

I have read through the instructions but I have 2 issues:

1) What is my platform? I am migrating from current bbpress plugin version to another. Both the production site and the dev site are on the same hosting provider with different databases obviously. I am assuming I use the default setting phpBB?

2) More importantly- what is the table prefix? It is default setting. I did not assign a custom prefix. But I cant find the table prefix anywhere in the MySQL database. There isn’t a table with the prefix wp_bb_ or anything related to that table structure?

* I am only using bbPress for forums, topics and replies. I am not using Buddy Press.

Thanks so much for the advice. The migrating instructions are not very specific.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

If you’re just moving your bbpress site from one wordpress installation to another, then you don’t need to use migration (this is for forums of different types). Rather just use Dashboard>tools>export and select includes forums, topics and replies. and then Dashboard>tools>import on your new site.

mshane8
    Participant

@mshane8

Hi Robin-

I tried that but with little success. Everything imported but the forums, topics, and replies were all assigned to the admin user account I used to import the data – even though I imported all of the WP users first from the old site to the new site and selected that each user account be assigned to the imported forum, topic, reply. In addition the forums also were not displaying when I would go to http://www.mysite/forums.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Thanks so much

Robin W

@robin-w

hmm, ok so hat didn’t work ! Will have a think

Robin W

@robin-w

ok, so if you’re not miles down the redesign, I’d copy across your current site and then mod from there

see

https://codex.bbpress.org/creating-a-test-site/

for a lot of detail on this.

mshane8
    Participant

@mshane8

Hi Robin –

I am too far along. That is not an option.

Do you know where bbPress places the database tables. What is the default table prefix?

I am not sure why this is so complex. I have imported through WP/Dashboard/Tools/Import – Forums, Topics and Replies individually through xml files.

I have a static page that calls the forum index using the shortcode : [bbp-forum-index]

This page displays OK. It will show the # of topics but when I click on the forum itself it opens up the forum but shows 0 topics. All the topics, forums and replies are in the WP Dashboard assigned to the proper author.

Robin W

@robin-w

try a forum repair

Dashboard>tools>forums>repair forums and run one at a time

All the entries are in the posts table, they are custom posts, so you can’t break then out individually.

Viewing 6 replies - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar