Categories
Search
Bottom

Forums for registered users

• clutchbasketcbt
    Participant

@clutchbasketcbt

Hi all,

I am new to wordpress and I am struggling to set up a forum on my webpage that has the features I want.

I would like to create a forum that is free for all to view but can only be contributed to by registered user of the website. So creating new topics and replying/commenting in the tread is only available to those who are registered. However anyone can read the thread and hopefully its contents will be searchable by google.

I am not sure if I need a specific plugin for this task or if the two I have attempted to do this with are adequate with better knowledge. (bbpress and Discussion Board)

It would also be my preference for the user to log in to the website, rather than just the forum but I would settle for the latter if the former is not easily attainable.

I would really appreciate any info that anyone has on the subject because I am not a web developer! Webpages look so simple before you find out what goes into them.

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

• Robin W

@robin-w

I would like to create a forum that is free for all to view but can only be contributed to by registered user of the website. So creating new topics and replying/commenting in the tread is only available to those who are registered. However anyone can read the thread and hopefully its contents will be searchable by google

This is the default.

If you set then forum to public, but ensure that anonymous posting is off

dashboard>settings>forums>anonymous posting

Then all can see, but only registered users can post

bbpress just uses wordpress login, so any wordpress login will work, so logging onto the website also gives access to the forums

clutchbasketcbt
    Participant

@clutchbasketcbt

thanks for this very quick response. Googleing anything with forum in the title turns up a bunch of forums about other stuff. I appreciate the help

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem

Viewing 3 replies - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar