Categories
Search
Bottom

Forum Width in Twenty Seventeen

• Joseph
    Participant

@jiggyflyjoe

Hello all,

I’ve been browsing around looking for some solutions to help me out with this situation but can’t seem to find any. I’ve switched my website AlmostEpic.net over to the beautiful Twenty Seventeen theme. I really like everything that the theme has accomplished except one small caveat: bbpress is now displaying <i>extremely</i> narrow!

I’ve tried the trick that includes going into bbpress.css and changing the float and width but it’s already set at 100%, which leads me to presume that it’s actually an issue with the theme and not bbpress. Can anyone assist me with finding a workaround for this? I’d really like for my site’s forums to display full-width but everything else can pretty much be left alone.

Thank you in advance!

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• romanski
    Participant

@romanski

Hi Joe,
    I started using WP just recently and also am using twenty seventeen. I run into the same dilemma on how to make the pages a bit wider, especially the bbPress forums.
    I am completely new to CSS coding but after scouring the forums for some solutions I found this:
    1. In your dashboard click Appearance>Edit CSS
    2. At the end of what’s there, on a new, line insert this code:

/* wider wrapper in large screens */

@media
    screen and (min-width: 48em) {
    .wrap {
    max-width: 1200px;
    }
    }

You can play with the number in front of “px” to see what fits your needs.
    One caveat though is that it will widen all the pages in the theme and I don’t know how to apply this code to specific pages, and I’m sure there is a way.

The beauty of this theme is that you can put this code (or any) in the CSS editor and you see the result immediately, you don’t like it, delete the code no harm done.
    Hopefully this helps.

cheers
    Roman

Joseph
    Participant

@jiggyflyjoe

I’m also relatively new to coding with different CSS techniques so I greatly appreciate your pointing out this simple trick. It is working out spectacularly!!

Thank you for your help!!!!

semperaye
    Participant

@semperaye

This didn’t work for me. I think because I’m using a sidebar on my forum pages, this is a must for me. Is there something that can be done to reduce the margin of the sidebar and forum blocks at the same time?

bstephenmitchell
    Participant

@bstephenmitchell

Hi all – I am not having any luck getting my forums page to work full width. Have tried all sorts of css and function.php and nope – no luck.

See the forums page here:

https://hopevisionaction.org/forums/

… and any help would be very much appreciated.

Using 2017 default theme. Also using BuddyPress now.

Thanks.

Steve

Robin W

@robin-w

via css try

.has-sidebar:not(.error404) #primary {
    	width: 100% !important;
    }

you can set it to more than 100% if you wish !

bstephenmitchell
    Participant

@bstephenmitchell

Robin W! WOW! That was quick and easy!

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! 🙂

Very much appreciated.

Steve

Robin W

@robin-w

no problem, glad to have helped 🙂

Viewing 7 replies - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar